Basically a Chevy V8

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice
Need a 2nd opinion. I have a 1978 V8 Volvo Penta. Basically a Chevy V8. I got a steal on this boat, had my mechanic come out and take a look at her. Tried to start she wanted to turn over but started to freeze. He stopped right there said there might be some rust in the cylinders. Well there was rust in the cylinders. he tried to unfreeze it by using diesel fuel. No luck. his next step is to pull the engine take off the oil pan and try and free up the cylinders up from underneath. Does this sound right? Does this sound like more than just rust in the cylinders. Maybe bearings or broken crank? Anybody dealt with this before.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Basically a Chevy V8

Usally a engine that locks up on on cranking either has water in a cyl or a connecting rod out

Bondo

Staff member

It Sounds like you should be looking for a Replacement Motor............<br /><br />The 1 you have,... Might,... Possibly be Rebuildable,..........<br />But,.....<br />Seeing that You're Not a Mechanic,..........<br />It'll be Cheaper in the long run to just get 1 that's Already been Rebuilt...............

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you have a mechanic that works ultra-cheap, AND knows the difference between "just a Chevy V8" and a marine motor, a swap for a ready-to-run rebuilt is best. They can be had for around $1700 in a longblock.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Dont start a new thread on the same subject! Scroll down iboaters.78 volvo penta engine.Same exact ? .... :eek: reply on your original post so "helpers" know what you have done!!