Alpha 1 to Bravo 1 conversion

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Alpha 1 seems to be holding up well to my 400 SBC repower; however I am contemplating upgrading the drive so I dont have to be so carefull with the throttle. I know that the transom assy. will have to be changed but how about the flywheel housing. Will the Alpha housing work with the Bravo inner transom plate?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Alpha 1 to Bravo 1 conversion

Eddie, are you handy with tools? If so, the conversion is not nearly as complicated as a Mercruiser Mechanic has to tell you it is. My father just did an Alpha 1 Gen 2 to Bravo 1 conversion, and he'd be glad to give you the step by step. But if you don't have an Alpha 1 Gen 2, then it's going to take everything that Don S and the guys here tell you.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a gen 1 Alpha. I have had my boat all the way apart to replace the stringers and transom, so I'm not too worried about the process. It helps that I grew up in a multi-line auto dealership's service department, and also have a good bit of experience in composites. I just like to cross bridges before I get to them as I hate to do something twice.<br />I sure wish that I had known about this website when the project began. It would have had a bravo 1 to start with as I had to rebuild the outdrive as well as the engine.

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, hang tight, Don S and rodbolt and the boys will see this and give you excellent information. You may have to give them serial #'s and such.<br />if you want to see pics and look up part #'s, try dougrussell.com they have good pictures and stuff. Maybe you'll see for yourself if the flywheel housings are different on an Alpha 1 and Bravo 1. Just look up a 5.7 of similiar vintage to your 400, and look it up with both a an Alpha drive and a Bravo. Good luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've never tried to make the change, but am sure the bellhousing on the engine is the same. Like TW mentioned, check out the part numbers in the parts books. If they are different, there is something different, who knows what.