2004 4.3L oil level

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
whats the best way to verify engine oil level. Should the boat be level, or the engine? Where do you put a level? at ...? on the air cleaner, or the valve covers or the bilge or the trailer?<br /><br />2004 4.3L V6 Mercdruiser Alpha 1<br /><br />thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2004 4.3L oil level

If sitting in the water, consider it level. If on a trailer, get the waterline level (BY EYE) don't go looking for a level, it's not THAT critical.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Besy way is to check it is in the water. Trailer, terrain, etc. can be misleading. Idea is to keep the oil pickup tube submerged in the pan all the time. So to answer your question correctly, it would be engine level. However , depending on the condition of your boat, floating would be the best.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Drain the oil pan completely; re-fill with the stated oil pan capacity. Take it out on the water, shut it down in some calm water and check the dip stick, make a mark on the stick where the level is, that’s your full mark with the engine at its installed angle while the boat is at rest on the water. Depending on the angle your engine has been installed at the factory marks on the stick may or may not line up with your “new’ full mark!

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't really think making a new mark, separate from the factory mark is the correct thing to do.. I was just trying to avoid having to drain or add oil on the water. It's much easier on the trailer, but I 'm not sure I have the oil level right. I have always beleived that you can never get all of the oil out. There is always some residual. If the factory capacity is what you go by, and it reads high... should I just wait until spring to check it? I want to run it on the tralier... but need to make sure level is good?

Don S

Do like the manual states. Fill between the add and the full marks. Go by the dipstick, not the capacity on the charts. That is when the engine is completely empty (aka NEW or Rebuilt) and all the oil passages are empty.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the boat at rest in the water place a level in a smooth repeatable spot,floor etc.Mark the location of the bubble on the level. With the boat on the trailer place the level in the same exact position and use the tongue jack to get the bubble between your marks.This should be close enough.If you're just checking shouldn't matter much but if you're topping off you want to be a little more picky and not overfill.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Just wondering how much the dipstick level would change with the bow 3 inches up or 3 inches down from 'level' ? johndoe,maybe you can test this and let us know ?<br /><br />DHP

Don S

Just wondering how much the dipstick level would change with the bow 3 inches up or 3 inches down from 'level' ?
Not enough to hurt anything. Maybe 1/16" on the dipstick. WAY up or WAY low in front will be easily visible on the stick.