Changed my stator and now idle is 2500 RPM? What did I screw up?

salmonslammer

Seaman
Finally got last weeks project done.... Got the stator back on and fired it up today... Only to "idle" super high.... and I don't have any sorts of throttle control when I have it in the neutral warm up mode.... Have full range of motion in gear , but nothing in neutral.

Manual doesn't seem to help..... says there is a neutral warm up adjusting screw, but doesn't give a location. Is this what needs adjusting? Seems to me its in the cable..

I don't want to start messing with the wrong linkage.... I know how that turns out!

salmonslammer

Seaman
Let the dog out and was looking at it... looks like the cam isn't touching the roller. have about 1/8" air gap.

Going to watch Franks video and see if I can cess it out... Sure going to miss him on the board. Guy knew everything about these motors!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
When you put the stator in did you run the wires correctly so they are not pulling on anything or interfering in anything

Last edited:

salmonslammer

Seaman
I checked em... they are clear. I just don't get why swapping a stator would cause this condition... weird. This motor is my nemisis

tommarvin

Ensign
1. You need a Force factory service manual if your going to work on your motor.
2.We have a 125hp, it has a idle adjustment on throttle tower,for idle rpm.
3. We just made that mistake, cables don't stretch Adjusting the linkage is not the answer unless you have already changed it.,
4. What size motor do you have? What controls do you have ? Never heard of a neutral warm up screw. We have Morse controls..
5. It worked before you put the stator back on ?.Did you adjust the idle screw on the throttle tower?
6. Could you have moved the trigger and advanced the timing?
7. Go back and check everything you did after it ran fine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do a static time and see where the marks align.
​Top post explain static timing. 28d
Top post also has a post by FrankA and it explains the linkage setup.
Called a link and sinc.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Could be the trigger assy. is hanging up somehow. The trigger assy sits in the middle of the stator and is supposed to rotate as you increase or decrease the throttle handle position. It's directly connected to the tower shaft via an adjustable link which also operates the throttle.

salmonslammer

Seaman
I think jerry is on to something... I backed the idle screw off the tower and was able to get it down to 8-900 RPM's but I physically have to hold it there... It has a very pronounced miss now at the lower RPM. I don't have a timing light so I will have to pick one up tomorrow.

Pretty sure the linkage isn't adjusted right.... Going to read up on that again at work tonight. Shouldn't have to hold the idle screw like that.

Its an 89 85hp and I do have a manual. All cables were replaced 2 years ago. Morse system I do believe.

Thanks for the help guys... I'll get this thing dialed in yet!

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The cable end on the throttle.
It's supposed to have a bit of tension when installed over the connector.
Take it off, turn it in/out and pull on it to reconnect.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Thanks Jerry.... That was the issue. I went too far with it and now I have a hard start/low idle on it. Have to find the happy medium now. Oddly enough, once I got tension on that cable my miss went away too! One less thing to fix!
Getting closer!

salmonslammer

Seaman
Threw the boat in yesterday.... started fine and idles fine....runs good on the low end but falls on its face on top end. Maximum speed was only seven.

Back to the drawing board.

Pulled he throttle linkage off the shift tower and ran it manually...took it to wide open throttle but didn't have any change in performance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Did the rpm's go up but not the speed?
​If so the prop hub might be spun?

More info??

salmonslammer

Seaman
Thankfully I put new plugs in it when I put it back in the slip.... #2 was still shiney new.

Just swapped the coil out... see what happens.

tommarvin

Ensign
Now you test the trigger ,stator, are the magnets glued tight on the flywheel,
cdielectronics.com , outboardignition.com , will show you how to test all ignition parts before you start throwin $ at it.
Did you adjust the idle screw down on the tower shaft,

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well... we swapped the coil and cdi out.. still no spark. Really scratching my head now.

Locate the wires coming from trigger Orange/Green,red/white with red stripes.
Ohmmeter and test Trigger resistance between Orange&Green and Red&White with green stripes You should read about 50 ohms.

Locate wires from stator yellow and blue.
Same thing with Blue and Yellow wires of the stator and you should read 680-800 ohms.

CD Modulejpeg1.jpg

Last edited:

salmonslammer

Seaman
Well today I checked the stator (783) and the trigger leads (47.3, 46.3)... Had pretty much given up on it and was staring at my notebook. Seen my wiring chart I made when I started ( Didnt realize it was on the powerhead) and thought... what the heck, lets check that.

Sure enough... my dyslexia had kicked in and it was transposed on 2 terminals. Got that squared away and now I have spark on all 3 cylinders. Stupid operator error will get you every time!

Took it out for a test lap... only managed 14mph. Although better than my 7mph on the last trip, still pretty weak

Going to check the sync on the carbs...#3 has a history of slipping.

salmonslammer

Seaman
I just did that since Ive ran out of things to do today.. All 3 were at about 128/130.

was kinda to find a dead one... at least i would know what it is!

Guess I will tear the carbs apart tomorrow... I took a spray bottle and shot some fuel in the carbs while it was running WOT tied off to thedock and nothing changed.

Dont have a tach but seems like Im only running anout 2800 to3000 rpms..

Maybe I will put one of those on too.... great way to spend my vacation... So much more fun than catching walleye!

tommarvin

Ensign
1Yes sir, tear the carbs apart tomorrow , clean/rebuild. Change all on motor and off motor fuel filters.
2. A tack is nice to have, but if you don't get there, turn the idle screw on the tower shaft clockwise up till she idles.
3. You'll be Walleye fishing in no time. Is your walleye called a walleye Pike?