Restoring a '95 19 SX Wellcraft Excel

LakeTravisAlpha1

Seaman Apprentice
I was gifted a Wellcraft Excel that has a rotten deck. There was lots of soggy wood that came out in handfuls, more like tree mulch than it's former plywood. The isle between the seats in the bow I tore out and replaced a cross stringer and floor, the deck down the center over the tank was soft so I tore it out exposing semi rotted stringers on both sides of the tank. The areas behind the rear facing seats on both sides are rotted to the transom but the area in front of the front/rear facing seats including the driver's seat are stable.

The boat has a strong running 3.0 Mercruiser LX that I've serviced and got running, including a new starter and rebuilt carb.
I hopefully fixed a leaking vent hose fitting in the tank today so I've already invested time doing the nastiest, filthiest grunt work I've ever done and spent a few hundred bucks servicing the engine so I want to keep going on this. I need to replace the seats and bow cushions and instruments but I do not want to do a complete gut job. In fact, I was hoping to take up the remaining soft areas behind the seats, lay new 3/4" plywood, re carpet and call it good.

But reading other restoration threads, I'm concerned now with a rotted transom. If it's rotted, and I would be surprised if it isn't, what am I looking at? Again. I don't have the time, budget or inclination to do a complete bow to stern restoration. For now, I just want to get it to a usable level for the summer.

Last edited:

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Best bet is to post some pictures so we can get a good look at what youre seeing.

Take a small 1/4" or 3/8" drill bit and drill shallow exploratory holes in the transom near the bottom on both sides of the outdrive. They just need to be deep enough to get through the fiberglass and produce a few wood shavings. If the shavings are light coloured and dry then you are ok. If the come out dark and wet, then ... well you'll have a decision to make. Move up the transom with a few more holes and around the "keyhole" for the gimbal housing.

My sea ray had similar mulch under the fiberglass and unfortunately if its been wet for that long , its probably the whole thing that is wet.

Then check out 92excels finished boat and see if this is something you want to tackle

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ted-boat-projects/326960-1992-wellcraft-excel