something new 4.3 lx GEN+ 1997

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
put exhaust manifold on all went well. now i have the oil/water crud coming out of the valve cover gaskets.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: something new 4.3 lx GEN+ 1997

Gaskets or vents? What does the oil look like? How long did you run the engine? How many times did you change the oil or what procedures did you use to clean out the crud? Did you ever remove the valve covers?......You may have a cracked block....JK

Don S

Do you by any chance have a picture of how you have your manifolds and risers installed with the cooling hoses?<br />Also, how did the engine run? Smooth, rough, missed a lot, died??????

tashasdaddy

engine ran fine at first then started to miss then died. trys to start. i was warming it up to start to change the oil and try to get the gunk out. the gunk is light tan and foamy don i'm emailing you pictures.

Don S

Pull your spark plugs, you will probably find them all wet with water. Like I mentioned in your previous thread, you might run into problems when using the 3" risers. They are not long enough to keep the water out of the engine on the Vortec engines due to valve overlap. Once a cylinder quits firing, it sucks water back in big time.<br />Looked at your pictures, and the plumbing looks fine for the water.<br />Here is the picture of your present exhaust system.<br /><br />
MVC-745S.JPG

tashasdaddy

if it warms up to day i will pull plugs, drain cooling system yesterday. is it possible to use a copper sleave and 2 hose clamps and some old garden hose to extend the exhaust water hose out of the boat, so i can run it just long enough to warm the block so i can pump the crud out of the pan...grasping at straws, i want that crap out of my block.

Don S

You better pull the plugs even if it is cold. You don't need water laying in the cylinders and rusting things up. That is just as bad (if not worse) than having the milk shake in the engine.<br />If I were you, and your old manifolds hadn't started leaking, I would put them back on for 2 reasons. <br />1. So you can warm the engine.<br />2. To verify "What" your problem is exactly.

tashasdaddy

pulled port manifold 1/2 full of water. proceeding tp starboard. it's warming up nicely about 45 degrees

At this point don't crank the engine with the coil wire attached. You don't want the engine to fire if there is water in the cylinders, you can bend a rod! With the coil wire disconnected you can crank the engine and get the water out, better yet pull the plugs and blow out the water. Was the boat in the water when water entered the engine or did this happen w/ muffs on? Would help identify if it's sucking water back in from the "y" pipe or if it's leaking down from manifold/riser mating surface. By the way, how cold is it in Jax, Fl.?

tashasdaddy

pull starboard same thing it was on muffs, plugs were wet with water not crud in cylinders, loaded with WD40 turned over a couple of times did this 3 or 4 times. i am now going the use the air compressor and try to dry them out. just blow air in not put pressure on the cylinder.

Don S

After you blow the cylinders out real good, clean the plugs and put them back in and start it up (NO water) and let it run for a few (5-10 Seconds) just to get the remaining moisture out of the cylinders.<br />Then put the old manifolds back on and run it for a while to warm the oil and start changine it.<br />I have also found that adding a quart of diesel to the oil will help get the water cleaned out a lot easier.

Don S

Now, you have a decision to make. At least it will give you something to think about while you are changing the oil :p :p <br />Do you stick with the 2 piece manifolds and change the Y pipe go to 4" risers AND elbows and do it right, or go back to the one piece manifolds.

tashasdaddy

i want to check with you before i started it without the manifolds on. thanks don

Don S

No problems really. Looked like things were fairly open around your engine. Noisy, but doesn't look dangerous. Just keep the open cans of gas away from it. No doubt you have contemplated setting fire to the whole thing and having a wiennie roast. ;) <br /><br />Ya must admit, there is nothing more fun during the Christmas holidays than messing around on a boat
11.gif

tashasdaddy

started immediately. forget and left the vent hose off the valve cover. now i have to clean before i can put the manifolds on. it was 31 this morning and now about 60. good work day. thanks don. will have to put things on hold this PM. will die if i work on this thing while holiday guest are here. sometimes you have to give in, and leave your real love alone. as i said this is my 1st i/o not my first boat, there are 3 others in the backyard.

tashasdaddy

ate lunch, put starboard on no prob, port was a bi--h, then looked down a gasket was hanging. anybody got a match? thats all till after chirstmas. HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY!!!