oil changes and maintenence for volvo ????

nu2boating

Cadet
i just purchased a boat with a volvo penta 430 v6 with a volvo penta out drive i have orderd a manual but i wont get it for a week and would like to try my new boat this weekend can you any one suggest if i should change the oil and or any other maintenence that should be done before i put it in the water :confused: :confused:

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil changes and maintenence for volvo ????

If there is ANY doubt then change the fluids and filters. When it is done you have a base line to start from.<br />Check your boots on the o/d particuarly the top boot around the driveshaft. Any cracks or damage, replace it or you may sink your boat (amongst other damage).<br />Regards<br />Peter

nu2boating

Cadet

where would i find the top boot what does it look like and how hard is it to change is it located between the engine and the out drive and is it easy to check thank you for your help in advance

nu2boating

Cadet

Ihave checked the engine oil it looks a bit dirty but not milky at all it was a bit low i topped it up i have mechanical experience since iwork in cars i'm just not sure how to check the out drive oil is there a dip stick or access hole so that it can be checked thanks again <br />alex

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I think you should find your local Volvo Penta dealer, take the boat to him and have him go over the operation of the boat with you and show you what is needed for maintenance. He can also get you an owners manual and service manuals for your engine and drive. IF you don't expect to be doing much more than tuneups, winterizations, and preventive maintenance, even a Seloc manual would work, here is the link.<br /> http://www.selocmarine.com/cart/product_detail.cfm?item__code=3600 <br /><br />The dealer can also show and explain how to use the neutral only option on the control, how (and why) to use the trim, where things like raw water pump, oil filter, fuel filter/s, bellows location, blowers, pumps, etc.<br />Lot more to boating than just buying the boat.<br />We do this with new boat owners all the time, usually no charge if they bring the boat in.<br />Hopefully, they will buy parts from us, and look us up if serious problems arise.

nu2boating

Cadet

thanks don i will do that and i am sorry for all the stupid questions just a little excited about boating