1981 seaswirl died

rridgway

Recruit
Everything was running fine when my son asked "whats that smell?" My head was up in the breeze so I smelt nothing but a few seconds later the engine died. I then could smell hot electrical type fumes. The whole instrument panel was dead, nothing worked.<br /><br />I found a 50 amp fuse that was blown in the engine compartment and replaced it. The power came back to the instrument panel and I could crank the engine over but no spark so ... no start.<br /><br />My question: What would cause a 50 amp fuse to blow and might this same thing ruin my coil or optical set up in the distributor (I replaced the points and condenser)<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions,<br /><br />Robert Ridgway.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1981 seaswirl died

Somewhere around here,......... I Think there's a Diagnostic Tree,... For a No Start issue........<br /><br />You've got to Find the Short that Blew the Fuse.........

rridgway

Recruit

I'd love to find the short but need help as to where to start looking.... any hints?<br /><br />As for the "no start Diag tree" let me know if you come across it but, your right.... I need to find thye cause! <br /><br />RR.<br /><br />P.S. thanks for the response

Dunaruna

Admiral

Might I suggest that the smell of burning wires usually happens shortly before the flames begin. Disconnecting the battery and finding the problem is a tad bit safer than replacing the fuse.<br /><br />What motor? What ignition?<br /><br />And welcome to iboats!!

rridgway

Recruit

Thanks for the info but... my engine cranks over, I just have no spark. The coil is not sending to the distributor and I was wondering if what ever blew the 50 amp fuse also damaged the coil?<br /><br />The weekend is here so I'll be back on it soon. Thanks for any and all advice,<br /><br />Rob Ridgway. San Diego CA

Bondo

Staff member

If you go to that post,+ Follow the directions laid out by Don,...... Then you'll Know Where the 12Vs Is,.. Or Isn't..........<br /><br />How are We suppose to know "If what Blew the Fuse" could have Fried Something in the Ignition Circuit,.........<br />If We haven't Found "What Blew the Fuse" Yet.........<br /><br />My Guess is,.......... <br /><br />Ayuh,........ Both Issues Are Related..........<br /><br />You've got to Do the Checking,...........<br />Then Tell Us What You Find................... ;)

rridgway

Recruit

I finally got the boat running. After replacing the 50 amp fuse, the instument panel, the up down motor and the starter all came back to life but I had no spark. I had the alternator tested and it was dead... the internal voltage regulator had fried and was replaced. I also replaced the Mallory unilite ignition module which also tested dead. Following advice from this site I visually inspected all wires to and from the 50 amp fuse that origanally blew but could find no evidence of a short. So, I tried to start the engine .... "click, click" from the starter solinoid as well as from the tilt motor solinoids. I replaced the other 50 amp fuse (which was not blown but showed resistance on an ohm meter) and the engine turned over again but no spark. I tested the voltage at the coil and only got 3 volts. I Removed all wires from the negative side of the coil and tested again... 12 volts! It seems the wires from the negative side of the coil to the tachometer were causing a drop in voltage. I reconnected only the negative wire to the Mallory unilite module in the distributor and VROOM it started right up. While it was running I sniffed around for hot wires or circuts but never found one. I let it run for 5 -10 minutes at various rpm and nothing went wrong. The wire from the negative side of the coil splits into two wires, one gray and one black. One of them goes to the tachometer, does anyone know where the other goes/ Or, does anyone have an idea of what might have originally happened?<br /><br />Here are the facts:<br /><br />-Son smelt hot wires<br />-engine died<br />-found blown 50 amp fuse<br />-replaced 50 amp fuse, motor turned over but, no spark<br />-replaced blowm internal voltage regulator in alternator<br />-replaced mallory unilite ignition module<br />-could not find visual evidence of melted wires or short<br />-tried to lower outdrive/start engine.."Click"<br />-replaced the other 50 amp fuse which was not blown<br />-Motor turned over but no spark.<br />-checked voltage at coil (3 Volts)<br />-disconnected all wires from neg. side of coil and tested again(12 Volts)<br />- connected negative side of coil to mallory unilite in distributor ...engine starts<br />-ran engine 5-10 min @ various rpm... no problems seen or smelt.<br /><br />Not sure where to go from here.<br /><br />Any advice is greatly appreciated,<br /><br />Robert Ridgway, San Diego CA<br /><br />P.S. I can live without the Tach.

ROB2005

Recruit

speaking about the one wire that splits off from the negative side of the coilinto two wires one gray one black on my engine the two wires were gray one ran back too the alternator and the other im not 100% SURE BUT I BELIEVE IT goes to the esa module hope that helps