OMC Service Manuals in PDF format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found an old thread that had listed several service manuals in PDF format which was posted several years ago. The hosting site is now a paid subscription site full of ad's and malware. Does anyone by chance have these manuals in PDF format? I'm looking specifically for the OMC 1964 - 1998 Wiring Diagram Manual.

Here is the original post:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ives/316866-omc-repair-manual-in-pdf?t=309093

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try Boatinfo.com. You are limited by how much you can print at one time.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boatinfo.com doesn't seem to be a valid website? Am I typing it in wrong?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sent you a PM

Edit: Reread your post and see you need a Stringer manual

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boatinfo.net doesnt have the old stringer manuals. they have the OMC cobra manual, a brochure, and 2 other non-useful documents (4 in total)

southkogs

Staff member
There are some good resources in the Stringer link in my signature.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agreed, however the 4shared site listed in the stickies no longer has the manuals.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can understand folks wanting a "No-Cost" free manual for their OB repairs and such. But to think that a printed manual with everything available to you at hands reach that cost a mere $20 dollars or there about, should be appealing to anybody. If you own any type boat, $20 dollars should the least of your worries about costly things. The typical boater will spend that on one tank of gas to go boasting. So buy a factory manual and forget searching for free manuals that you would have to print out anyway. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I can understand folks wanting a "No-Cost" free manual for their OB repairs and such. But to think that a printed manual with everything available to you at hands reach that cost a mere $20 dollars or there about, should be appealing to anybody. If you own any type boat, $20 dollars should the least of your worries about costly things. The typical boater will spend that on one tank of gas to go boasting. So buy a factory manual and forget searching for free manuals that you would have to print out anyway. JMHO!
I totally agree. I have printed manuals for every car/truck and boat engine I own.

Problem with the Stringer OEM manuals are that they are more hard to find

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
My apologies. I should have mentioned in my post that it is in fact a 1970 Stringer outdrive Model # 981231. I was looking for it in PDF format so I could load it on my tablet which I carry with me. Oh, GM280 I don't think I've ever been called a cheap skate before, so to prove it, the next time I make it down to middle Georgia, the all you can eat Opposum down at Bubba's diner will be my treat...!! Gosh, I miss Don S, he was much more gentle.....

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whoops, I guess I should probably explain what a tablet is and what PDF format means.... But I'm just going to leave you guessing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Who spiked the water fountain the past day or so? The is more bickering going on in the forums than in The War Of The Roses.

There is nothing wrong with wanting manuals in PDF form for a tablet. But I want to see you dog ear pages so you can flip back and forth.

We are trying to help.

I guess you never saw Don riled. :smile:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, seem to have ruffled some feathers. That wasn't my intentions. I was merely stating that while we all want things free, buying a factory manual so you can have it at hand when doing things would seem to be the most appealing to anybody. Guess I was totally wrong in that issue as well. If you have a pdf format, you have to have some form of electronic display available around tools, grease, oil and such. I would rather not subject my computer systems or tablets for that matter to such an iffy environment. Sorry, kfrazer, if I offended you in any way. I apologize for such. And I really don't partake in Opossum eateries...but thanks all the same... :smile:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Whoops, I guess I should probably explain what a tablet is and what PDF format means.... But I'm just going to leave you guessing.
I have my manuals in PDF as well so that when I go on vacation, I don't have to lug the manuals around.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
All is well...lol. My apologies also..

GA_Boater, Please don't tell anyone, but every once in a while, I would leave out a part #, or be a little vague in my description just so I could watch the Don S fireworks....lol. I never made it to Alaska to meet him, but probably the most knowledgeable marine mechanic I've ever come across...!

JustJason

Vice Admiral
I have a 64 to 86 Seloc type manual for OMC. It's in PDF and better than nothing. PM me your email address and I'll see what I can do about getting a copy sent off to you.

superbenk

Commander
I used the heck out of my Solec with my Stringer. I agree with whoever mentioned that having a paper copy in the shop was the best bet. Greasy hands & tablets don't mix well & are harder to dog-ear or write notes into. I think you can find the Solec manual for about $20 if you look around (try eBay). I'm also a fan of PDFs for when I travel, but you should definitely consider the Solec for the shop. I've also heard Solec is better than the Clymer for most things, though I think the Clymer has better wiring diagrams (maybe they're in color?) I think. I never saw the Clymer so I can't back up that claim. Ideally, you find an official shop manual at eBay or something, but those are hard to come by & you'll pay a lot more for that. I never got one, but considered it many times. That said the Solec was always sufficient. I could see the shop manual being necessary if I had to get into fine clearance work like replacing gearsets or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.