16' closed bow resto/ mod

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Just drug this home...

Transome and floor's are toast! Both factory, new to puters so search is tough. The work is easy. Any idea what model this is?
Still hunting hin' pink say's 1965,,, hin6510233
Where do I go decode this?
Been reading the resto threads, this one looks to be run of the mill!
Thanks in advance cb

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander
Welcome to the forum clb. Looks like a nice project boat. Do you plan on opening the bow?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks to be a Starcraft by the features and the way she's made. The HIN you gave isn't right so it won't decode. A few more pics showing the sides with some dimension measurements and I'm sure there's someone who can tell you not only the make but the model.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys!
I'd love to open bow this( thats what I was looking for) but I have not done enuff reading yet!
I still have my 12' tin so I can take my time and sell the greggor later.
So far I have Not found the hin on the boat just what is on the cal dmv paperwork.
It lists 1965 star raft runabout!
I will get some tape measurements later today.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks like the makings of a nice project. I think I remember jayoutside did a bowectomy on some big tin. You might do a search on his restos to see how it turned out. As far as identification it could be a 16ft jupiter.:noidea:

whatever she is she'll be a fun project. I'll be tuning in if that's okay.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard cib. It looks like a great project boat with all the open floor space. You couldn't have found a better place to post your new project. The folks on here will easily help you with everything you could possibly come across when rebuilding this project. I already can see an interesting boat with so many possibilities. Do you have any type setup in mind, like a simple rebuild or opening it all up to a more fishing setup? Obviously the floor is toast and probably the stringers and of course the transom. But it looks very easily to get to everything as well... Let us know what design you are wanting to configure this too and help will be provided... :thumb:

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Figure its destined to fish/ haul crab traps in the bay. Bodega/s.f./san pablo ...ca
I like the open aft area, the 2 pedestal seats will probably stay!
The front deck seems to help strengthen the hull and as much as it make it easy to beach it is another place to sit and fish!
Its pretty straight.
Jupiter and jet are the closest matches I have found so far.
Still hunting!
Thanx all!
Whats your opinnion of not reacing the foam so I can use the bilge as sturgeon ballast?
My old cuddy had one'it rocked!

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've seen a couple of restos done where storage was added below deck which eliminated some of the old flotation foam. I think if you're gonna take away any foam from below deck you should try to add extra anywhere you can. Especially if your gonna use her in the bay or off shore any.

Because the stringers are aluminum that will save allot of weight, but that also means they're in the way for some below deck ideas. As for the bow I would think so long as you reinforce the gunwales at the bow you could stiffen it up if you remove the bow cap.

What about reinforcing the bow cap, and adding a pedestal seat mount? That would keep your forward storage area covered, and give you a good fishing spot.

Just tossing out some ideas.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
All good points!
It looks like i could fill the topside of the gunnels inside with foam and gain a fair amount there and under the splashwell/bow cap...
Still in teardown mode today.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks guys!
I'd love to open bow this( thats what I was looking for) but I have not done enuff reading yet!
I still have my 12' tin so I can take my time and sell the greggor later.
So far I have Not found the hin on the boat just what is on the cal dmv paperwork.
It lists 1965 star raft runabout!
I will get some tape measurements later today.

A 1965 won't have a HIN, they weren't required by the CG until 1972. In WA the DOL issued me a HIN for my 1970 SC when I licensed the boat. I still haven't attached it to the hull though. I was thinking she's a sweet little Jup too but I'm not that good at guessing. :lol:

Not sure about the ballast you're referring to, allowing water on board and lessening flotation foam doesn't really sound like such a good idea. :noidea:

clb

Seaman Apprentice
What I've found hunting it looks like a jupiter, first thought, or a jet.

The ballast in my cuddy worked as such' pull transome plug, allow floor to flood into bilge, there were 2 floor plugs fr/rear 1 ea) when front bilge plug flowed out onto floor plug the front then the rear then stand on the fuel till any residual water sucked out the transome plug hole and the plug it!
She would settle down say 6" and ride like a caddy!

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Todays thrash

3 pinhole's that got hidden by the 50 years of debris under the floor( took it on a 1 hour soak) no surprises other than that!
Now to go find the supplies section here and come up with a bullet proof fix.🍻

Last edited:

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Still trying to identify the hull!
As the issued hin did not check out'''''
Ok dimensions as requested!

78" widest point of gunnels
38" from keelway to bow cap at top
30" from keelway to splashwell top( inside measurments from keelway
74" wide on top at splashwell!
Thanx gents'ladies!

clb

Seaman Apprentice
So what do you guys think I should do with the trolling eng it came with???
Its an 92 suzuki dt30c oil inj.
The best I can come up with ' the hull is rated at 80 hp.
So I don't think it will hit plane?!
It will do at this point but I'd like some git up n go 'but who has $$$ for an 80 hp 4 stroke.
Ok I'm off to learn the tricks of this site!
Later cb

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well how about cleaning up the engine really nice, and make it run like a scalded ape and then put it up for sell and take that money and reinvest it into the proper size engine? As for the boat itself, start cleaning and scrubbing and install a new floor and transom if need be and get it ready for the other engine to come. Sounds completely doable to me. :thumb:

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Why thank you sir!
Well how about cleaning up the engine really nice, and make it run like a scalded ape and then put it up for sell and take that money and reinvest it into the proper size engine? As for the boat itself, start cleaning and scrubbing and install a new floor and transom if need be and get it ready for the other engine to come. Sounds completely doable to me. :thumb:

My basic plan😎...
But it already runs fine, I'm going to do an upgrade once I get the hull sorted!

Last edited:

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Got As far as pulling the splashwell drains, transome is ready to pull, are these being changed out for something new or are they refitted?

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
There are several good examples of transom replacement on these tin boats. We redid ours last spring. A link to the transom replacement is in my sig line. I used exterior grade plywood glued together with Tight bond III wood glue. Then sealed it with spar varnish. The previous owner or po replaced the floor in our Starcraft the year before so it was in good condition.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Thanx saw that( nice work) so far I have only seen one mentio. Of the draintubes ' wich were purty well bent up!
I have looked at the section for the answer but so far in vein!
But thanx!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think on the drain tubes you have the choice of metal tubes which you have to flare with a tool or plastic ones that snap together. Both are fine, but the plastic ones are much easier to install.