What anchor to choose???

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do all my boating on Lake Roosevelt in WA, and I'm wondering what kind of Anchor you guys would recommend? The bottom composition ranges from rock, to sand, and from gravel to clay mud. I'm assuming that most of the time I'll trying to get a hold in the sand and the clay (like you can really anchor in rock anyway LOL).<br /><br />So, what kind of anchor and anchor rope system would your recommend?<br /><br />I have a 1973 Rienell Trihull, with a 135hp outboard.<br /><br />Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What anchor to choose???

Moving to Boats.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Ted,<br /><br />Not sure what type of holding power you are looking for or the type of situations you will find yourself in, but the best all around anchor system would probably be a medium size danforth type anchor with a 10' chain rode and preferably 1/2" twisted or braided nylon rope. (Braided nylon will give you a little stretch to compensate for wave action) Remember, you want at least a 5 to 1 ratio on the rope length to depth to give the anchor the correct biting power. (20 ft of water depth should have at least 100 ft of anchor line out) Anything less and you risk the anchor pulling loose unexpectantly.<br /><br />When it comes to anchoring, longer is better. ;) <br /><br />Nav :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander

Go to page "2" count down to about 22post and you will see anchoring.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw in a store several other types of anchors besides the Danforth kind. There was a "Mushroom" one and some others. What are the different ones best suited for?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Danforth: This is used by many recreational boats They hold best in mud and clay. I use this and I use it on alot of rocky bottom.<br /><br />Grapnel: This has 4-5 hooks They can be used in mud or clay<br /><br />Ells: These are popular among salvage operations.<br />These hold well in soft,sandy bottoms. This anchor minimizes effects of canting<br /><br />Mushroom: As this anchor moves in the sea bottom it buries itself deeper. And these are frenquently used for moorings and channel buoys.<br /><br />And remember that you should pay out a 5-1 or 7-1 in calm weather[sometimes more ] This means that if you are in 30' of water you should pay out 150' of anchor line.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go for the Danforth. I read the thread from page 2, and got a lot of info from there as well.<br /><br />Any suggestions on anchor weight? and how long and heavy of a chain for my boat?

BillP

Captain

Don't forget to add the height of your bow for calculating the scope.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pick up a West Marine catalog. They usually have a very detailed section on various anchor pros and cons and the size that is right for your boat in the catalog.

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the scope? Also thank's for the description of different anchors. Anyone have advice on the weights of anchor and chain?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "SCOPE !!!" <br /><br />The scope of the anchor line is the length of anchor line in relationship to the depth of water!<br /><br />For your boat you only need about 5-6 feet of chain.<br /><br />The scope of anchor chain is 1 "shot" [90 feet or 15 fathom] for every 15 feet of water 6-1.<br />1 shot is marked by one turn of wire on the detachable anchor link or it is painted red<br />2 shots are marked by two turns of wire or are painted white<br />3 shots are marked by three turns of wire or are painted blue <br />The numbers of turns on the wire continue to increase for every 15 fathoms and color of paint repeats itself!!!!

paperdesk

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm learning a lot! Thank you Fly Rod. Thanks also Navigator, I'll check out one of their cataloges for that info.

Link

Rear Admiral

This is for fishing only.<br /><br />After setting the main bow anchor we let the line go slack to back up a bit then throw out a (fold up for storage type) Grapnel, then hand pull the boat between the two. Keeps us right where we want to be and the wind and currents dont swing us around in the lake.<br /><br />Link