dragged skeg up boat ramp

Have a 2004 Alpha I Gen 2 outdrive with skegguard. I installed skegguard on it when new based on this forum.<br /><br />I then forgot to raise outdrive and drug outdrive about 5 feet up ramp. Just minor scratches which I can buff out with wet/dry sandpaper. <br /><br />Trim works fine all the way up and down but I am new to boating and wondered if any damage could be done to trim when this happens. <br /><br />I fully raised and lowered outdrive without difficulty. I did notice that on the way down that an additional whine does occur. I never tried to listen before so I don't know if new.<br /><br />Has anyone ever damaged trim in any way by failing to raise outdrive and driving 5 feet?

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: dragged skeg up boat ramp

Yep, been there and done that before. Only I didn't have a skegguard on mine and managed to remove about a 1/4" of skeg from the bottom. The legs are designed to withstand strikes out on the water and will raise up if struck. So rest easy, you're alright.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

as far as damage about the only damage I can think of will be to your pride, and that is related to how many observers were at the ramp.were it me there would have been at least 50 people watching. you may have to cycle the drive up and down several times to reset the memory pistons but other than that it should be ok as long as the prop did not drag.

My pride has taken a real beating.<br /><br />Thanks for support, this forum is outstanding.<br /><br />As a side question, the trim up sounds nice and smooth but the sound going trimming down does not sound as smooth. <br /><br />Is this normal for the trim motor to due to flow of hydraulic fluid?

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're probably being just overly cautious. Do like Rodbolt said and it'll work its way out if there really is anything. Trim system is self-bleeding.<br /><br />Now...... "When" the day comes that you've forgotten to put the plug in before launching be sure and post about how frantic that was.

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been there and done that part, and like last post, in the future some time you will forget the plug at some time also. I happened to both, plug on way in, skeg on the way out each time when my wife brought her hot friend (and husband) to join us....RATS! I wonder if that is a coincidence...<br /><br />On both parts, not permanent damage, just pride.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, just last Sunday I teased my girlfriend about her multiple attempts to back the trailer down the ramp while her daughter and I orbited patiently in the boat. Then after getting the boat on the trailer I forgot to raise the drive and proceeded to drag the skeg up the ramp in front of several onlookers, some of whom heard me tease her about her driving.<br />Boat was fine, pride took a SEVERE beating.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Every trailer boater does 2 things at least one time...<br /><br />1) Forget to put in the plug.<br /><br />2) Drag the skeg up ramp.<br /><br />I bet you won't drag the skeg up the ramp again. Be thankful you had the skeg guard installed.

ditto on the been there done that, but i also tore up the prop, and thankfully i had a new one on board.