help w/ stiff steering

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 96 Larson 174sei has a rack/pinion steering that has gotten progressively harder to steer. I have greased the rod that connects to the tiller with marine grease. Yesterday I removed the large nut at the stern end of the cable to expose the "other end" of the steering rod and greased that as well. It looked clean and no rust or corrosion. Put it back together. Moved the steering wheel lock to lock several times. No better. I hear a "growl/grunt" in the cable that seems to be coming from the area where the cable make the turn from the helm down the port side of the boat. <br />Any help/suggestions are appreciated.<br /><br />Mark

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: help w/ stiff steering

Is there a way to lubricate the rack & pinion?..J

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks J<br />I have looked at it - both under helm area and at the stern. I could not see a fitting. It's a Teleflex. Any ideas?<br /><br />Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Texsun, Normally (on my Mercruiser) the steering gets stiff where it passes through the aluminum guide tube. It sounds like you greased the cable, but is the cable end(to the "tiller") free to move in its guide tube?.

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a similar problem with my 1989 20' bowrider that is being addressed this week. DonS posted how to remove the steering cable from the tube then clean the corosion and lube the tube. DO a search in this forum and he has a picture of what, how and where. I disconnected the cable, but couldn't get the cable completely out of the tube, and couldn't figure out how to get the tube off. I did lube the tube and I didn't see any noticable corrosion from how I could see down it. Even disconnected from the outdrive, the steering was still hard to turn even to move the cable out of the tube.<br /><br />I am now in the process of replacing the steering cable and rack/pinion. I'll post with the success of that procecure. My research sez once the cable gets kinked, puts more pressure/wear on the rack/pinion, which is why I am having both replaced.<br /><br />Good luck.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not removed the cable form the tube yet. When I removed the large nut at the stern I then went to the outdrive and pushed it to expose the rod(I have greased the rod at the tiller several times over the past 4 yrs) A previous post indicated that there could likely be some corrosion at the area around that nut-and to clean and lube.<br />Sounds like Murphini is instructing to remove the cable from the tube and do clean & lube on the entire cable.<br />Can anyone point me to DonS previous post about steering overhaul. I did a search earlier but was not able to locate it. <br />Thanks A Bunch. Have a Great Weekend!<br />Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is the picture I had in the other post, it is one with power steering, but even without power steering it's the same principal. The aluminum tube gets corrosion in it and binds on the rod from the steering cable.<br /><br />
Steering%20cable%20froze.png

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick response! As you indicated the picture shows a power assist but same principle. I have removed and lubed that area, with no better result.<br />Should I now remove the entire rack & cable and remove the cable from the aluminum housing? Does the entire cable need lubing and then reinstalled in the tube?<br />Any tips on that procedure?<br /><br />Thanks Again,<br />Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have removed the cable and it's still stiff, replace the cable, the insides are worn (probably at the bends) and the inner cable binds on the groove worn in the outer.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't removed the cable yet, I only backed that large nut off at the left end of your picture above and looked for gunk or corrosion. I did not find any corrosion so I lubed it and tighted the nut back up.<br />My thought is that I would like to remove the cable from the housing - lube it and reinstall. I saw some prior post that indicated using a torch... does the cable not slide out freely? Any tips or advice is really appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help!!<br />Mark

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update to earlier post: I got the steering cable replaced. Works like a charm now, I can literally turn the boat with 1 finger.<br /><br />Since it was my first boat I didn't know how bad it was. Now I know how easy steering can/should be.