Stutters on full tank of gas

josbornjr

Recruit
Just bought a 1996 Chris Craft with 5.0 Volvo Penta fuel injected engine. Here is the problem I am having only when it has a full tank of gas down to around 3/4. When I burry the throttle it takes off fine then will stutter a couple of seconds and then takes back off agian. The previous owner was aware of this and tried not put more than 3/4 tank of gas in it. Has had a full tune up this past fall. Any suggestions???

searay_89

Cadet
Re: Stutters on full tank of gas

Jim,<br />I'm just a novice at this but given your description could it be possible that a full throttle acceleration and the momentary bow up pre-plane position of the boat causes the fuel to shift enough in the tank to create a short duration blockage of the vent line, and thus inhibiting fuel flow? Not sure if tank venting is as critical to FI engines as it is to carburated ones?<br /><br />Has this been an issue since the boat was brand new?

josbornjr

Recruit
Re: Stutters on full tank of gas

I purchased from the second owner and it has always been an issue for him. Spoke with a mechanic yesterday and he also mentioned some kind of venting issue. What you described is exactly what is happening under full throttle with the bow up. Maybe I'll have someone a little more mechanicly inclined take a look at it. Thanks for responding!