Don S, "Clutch dogs don't slip, they jump out of gear and bang back in&quot

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Don, could you expand on this? By bang are you talking a sever slamming in and out of gear, or a more "skip" like type of "bang back in". This feels like it could be jumping out and back in, but it isn't an earth shattering bang. You can feel it in the floor, see the O/D jump a bit when it happens, and obviously hear it. It sounds like something could be either skipping or slipping. And BTW, it does not do it in reverse. Maybe the forward gear is worn? (if so I replace forward and reverse together right)? Thanks for your time and effort in teaching a novice.-Jeff

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Don S, "Clutch dogs don't slip, they jump out of gear and bang back in&

what Drive are we disscusiing? normally if its slipping or jumpming in fwd gear the clutch,pinion gear and fwd gear are replaced togeter. only takes a few jumps and the clutch and fwd gear are wasted. usually caused by improper shifting, linkage misadjusted or engine rpm to high at idle. on the mercruser clucth type most used a shift spool that can wear but its rare. its more common to have an ouside problem trash the shift mechanism in the case than the case causing the proplem. once you repair the symptoms its imperative to address the cause

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This feels like it could be jumping out and back in, but it isn't an earth shattering bang.
Maybe I overemphasized it, it would be more of a clunk back into gear that you could hear and feel.<br />In your other post you explained it as slipping like an automatic transmission low on fluid which isn't consistant with clutch dogs.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, I was hopeful. I gather you mean a metalic like bang sound/feel.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should I be able to spin prop in gear by hand? I can spin it in forward, and I can hear the exhaust blowing air out. It is easier at parts of the rotation, and more difficult at others. Indication of???????

tommays

Admiral

I can hear the exhaust blowing air out.
please tell me your not touching it with the motor on :eek: <br /><br /><br />tommays

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

God no, You kow the sound when you turn a crank by hand, the release of air through the system, thats what I'm talking about. I can see the ball gears turn as I spin the prop. Didn't know if maybe the way it spins was indicative of something.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If the ball gears are meshing and turning when you spin the prop, you have a coupler/driveshaft issue. If you were in neutral there would be no direct connection between the prop and the OD ball gear. If you were in gear, nothing would turn, prop or ball gears.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I should pull the O/D, then the drive shaft and check the splines at the engine end and ball gear end?

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought it odd that I tried to turn this before and couldn't spin it, (didn't try that hard), but now I can. What do you think I'm looking at here Boomer? New shaft. I am going to try to spin this again and see if my son can see the fan belt turn. If it is going through the whole system you still think drive shaft/coupler?

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everything spins. The fan belt turns when I spin the prop. Thoughts?

QC

Supreme Mariner

You are either really strong or you have the plugs out . . .<br /><br />This happens with the drive in forward? Seems normal to me if you can get enough torque on the prop to turn everything. Just like a manual car if you were able to turn the wheels with it in gear.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am hardly strong and the plugs are in. Drive is in forward. I'm puzzled. Makes me think like you mentioned a clutch (that is gone) somewhere. But where?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I didn't mention clutch . . . :confused: If the belts are turning the drive is staying in gear although you are not applying much load, so I am not sure what that proves other than it stays in gear at VERY light load.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Just like a manual car if you were able to turn the wheels with it in gear". Thats where I got the clutch from. In a manual you can turn everything if the clutch is gone.

KaGee

Admiral

There is no "clutch" in the sense you are referring to. The "slipping" you are mentioning can only really happen at two places I can think of on that drive. #1 is the prop, #2 is the coupler.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah but if I'm hearing JH right, the OD is in gear, when he turns the prop everything turns right up thru the ball gears to the crank pulley on the engine. That does not seem hardly possible. You'd have to not only over come all the friction in the drive and motor but the compression as well. Something is not right here. You couldn't turn the motor over with the prop even with the plugs out. (probably, never tried it.)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know what all the questions are about, you said in your first post (ABOVE) that it sounded like it was jumping out of gear and back in. Then, like rodbolt mentioned, if it does that only a couple of times the gear and clutch dog are wasted.<br />I don't do OMC stringer drives, so I can't say what kind of noise it would actually make, but if it's jumping in and out of gear at high rpm only, how could you expect to find a problem when turning the prop by hand? After you get the drive fixed, you have to find out if the cables are bad that prevents it from going all the way into gear, which caused the problem to begin with.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, it does it at all RPM except idle. If feels as if it jumps in and out of gear, the amount of rpm does not seem to change (lower rpm if anything) when it does this, (I would think if it was really out the rpm's would skyrocket, then fall when re-engaged). <br /><br />Don, your saying new clutch dog and gears?