Help, Help, water in engine

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help, Help, water in engine

Which one of these is the highest probabilty of my problem?<br />1.backwash through exhaust system?<br />2.loose cylinder heads?<br />3.blown cylinder head gasket<br />4.Warped cylinder head?<br />5.cracked or corroded exhuast manifold<br />6.cracked block in valve lifter area<br />7.improer engine or exhuast hose installation?<br />8.cracked cylinder wall?<br /><br />ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

TROG? Hope not your idea of a joke, trust me. This ordeal has ruined my weekend for my entire family. Talked to shop this morning they told me this is what happened. Rookie tech probally did not turn on water until too late, did pressure test on manifold and it was cracked (wake5150) an no is wasn't cracked when I brought it in. So much for the 4th of july boating and houseboating. Shop is covering all expenses. Too bad my kids won't undertand.

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was also wondering if someone could tell me if 120psi in one cyclinder is ok, all other cylinders showed 160-180psi. I thought that it was normal on some engines because such an engine is said to exhale at cranking speeds even though everything is normal at operating speeds. Did cylinder leak test, put spoonful of oil in spark plug opening of lower cylinder, then cranked few times to distribute oil, psi reading did not change much, is this ok?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can't help with any of your technical problems, but I am impressed that the shop took FULL responsibility for what MOST PROBABLY was their mistake. <br /><br />I say 'most probably' and 'full responsibility', cause you've got a 20 year old boat that might have never had the manifolds replaced (I assume you bought the boat used and don't know it's full history). Before you took it in, the manifolds could have been ready to go at any time, which coincidentally happened right then (not too likely, but possible). Or they could have have already suffered minor damage from, say, improper winterization, that turned major when overheated from the newbie techs action (certainly possible if the boat was ever exposed to freezing temps).<br /><br />I guess what I'm saying is that although the shop is very likely at least partially at fault (and could be 100% at fault), depending on how the manifolds looked when they pulled them, they could have made the argument that they were already on the way to failure and tried to settle by paying only a portion of the replacement cost for brand new manifolds to replace 20 year old ones.<br /><br />To me, the fact that they took 100% responsibility and are covering the repair 100% indicates a very high level of integrety. Wish I had a shop like that close to where I live.<br /><br />Sorry you won't have your boat for the holiday weekend, but given the circumstances this incidence might add to my respect for the shop as much or more than detract from it. After all, occasionally mistakes will be made; as long as the mistakes are rare (you don't want to deal with an incompetent or careless shop), the way they deal with an occasional screw up (a good sign of the shop's integrety) is a critical factor to me. <br /><br />I make this comment 'cause I had an experience where it was ALMOST CERTAIN a shop caused damage to my gears (they left the outdrive half filled with drive oil when they changed it) yet in essence denied any responsibility for the resulting damage....

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the nice reply, It wasn't until this morning when the shop called at 8:30am to tell me they would be picking up the tab. When I left the shop yesterday they still were saying that I probally overheated it and cracked the manifold, but that was totally false. The engine looks brand new, even though I know looks can be decieving.The boat has been in my family for all 20 years of its life. 300 hours is all the motor has on it. Its always been kept in storeage inside for all 20 years. Over the last 10 years its only been in the water about 1 or 2 times a year. Gel coat and interior is still in showroom condition, and inside the cuddy the plastic is still on the seats. The place that serviced the boat only works on engines and sterndrives, and had been doing it for 65 years. They don't even sell boats just works on them. I think what they did is put a rookie tech on my boat who admitted that he was not familar with this old of motor, outdrive and cooling system. He couldn't even work the carb, said all he was used to was fuel injection. This was the tech that did my tune up and work on the cooling system.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

120 psi when the others are reading 160+ is 25%. From what I've learned is 10-15% between cylinders is ok anything more needs attention. Sounds to me like you have a bad valve, any chance it is in one of the cylinders that was getting water?

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was the 5th cyclinder and the 6th and 8th were the ones that had the most water, but they still showed a 160+ psi. From what I know(which is not much)the variation of psi in my motor is a 20-30psi variation which is said to be normal, and that is according to the Seloc Marine Engine Manual for a 1985/merc/260/5.7/V8. I did a simple leak test and the psi did increase about 10 psi which I thought might mean worn rings. But I also read that a 120 psi is sometimes normal in my engine, due to exhale at cranking speeds. Also I think that due to valve overlapping of large displacement engines, variable compression readings are sometimes normal. That is only what I've read and heard, please feel free to advise.

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

Im sorry about the family but at least you dont have to pay for it. I know it doesnt have anything to do with it but do you or not drink whisky? One of your posts said you were drinking whisky and another one later said you do not drink but might start? Heavy whisky drinking can affect how you see the temp gauge and remember things

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could not agree more with that comment. I don't really drink at all, but lets say I have had some whiskey before, I live in Ky.

KaGee

Admiral

Hmmmm.... Harry Paratestes?????