Merc 5.7 L submerged - how bad?

gleb

Cadet
Engine (and boat) was submerged for about 4 hours.<br />I have 5.7L 260HP 1986 Mercruiser.<br />How bad the damage could be?<br />Should I try to fix the engine or rebuild or it is garbage now?<br />Please advice and what steps I should do to fix it if it's possible?<br />Thanks.<br />Gleb.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 5.7 L submerged - how bad?

For starters,pull the plugs,[ground coil first] and crank the engine to get any water out as quickly as possible. Drain the oil & refill with new. Drain fuel bowl on carb. Replace plugs - [dried of course].Pour a little gas down the carb 25-50 ml, and try to stsrt it. Time is of the essence! Try to get it going as soon as possible! You will have to pull the drive to get any water that is collected in the bellows. I'm sure there are others who have more info, but this is where I would start......J

gleb

Cadet

Thanks!<br />I have a repair mechanic working on it now.<br />I think I gonna rebuild the engine.<br />Now he drains it and takes it apart - carb, heads - everything.<br />About 24 hours passed since water sucked into the engine - how bad is it?<br />Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If he's gonna pull it completely apart you should be able to save all the major components.

KaGee

Admiral

Provided it was fresh water you may be able to salvage the engine. If it was salt water, it may be junk now. Let the insurance company worry about it.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If there is an insurance company involved contact them asap and follow the steps they recomend ( in most cases you are required to do whatever is reasonable to mitagate damages). If not insured, the main thing is to get the engine drained, flushed and restarted as soon as possible and run to operating temperature ( even if you are going to eventually do a tear down and rebuild). If this is fresh water and you act quickly, you may not even need to do a rebuild. Get it running and change the oil several times.

I have restarted submerged outboards and I/Os many times with out any problems. The sooner the better. My jet ski motor gets a good water flushing about 3 or 4 times a year! oops. I just pull the plugs, turn it upside down to drain all of the water from the case, then crank it over several times, plugs back in, after a few trys it starts right up and I am on my way. One good thing is that it helps get rid of carbon build up.

TilliamWe

Banned

( in most cases you are required to do whatever is reasonable to mitagate damages).
You are close waterone... In ALL cases you are required to mitigate your damages. It's written in the policy every time!

gleb

Cadet

Thanks everybody!<br />I contacted my insurance and they gonna pay for the damage. I called in mechanic and he flushed the engine and disassembled. The engine should be rebuild but it is saved :) <br />Hope to be on the water again this weekend (need to patch the transducer hole though - that's where the water sucked in).<br /><br />Thanks for all comments and help.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Better hope your insurance company doesn't read these threads "engine worn out and need rebuild anyway"....LOL.

vipzach

Lieutenant

I know this was started to ask about the motor, but you might have the hull/stringers inspected to make sure your boat isn't full of water :mad: I don't want to rain on your parade, just want you to make sure everything is good, not just the motor. Good Luck I hope all is well!!!!!!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

By the way....don't forget about all of the other stuff in the engine compartment (trim/tilt pump, water heater, battery charger,etc.). They may seam fine now, but will corode and rust if not cleaned properly.

gleb

Cadet

Thanks guys!<br />Yes, I know I might face problems with electric equimpment, but now to salvage the engine is most important. We inspected possible leaks through the hull and stringers - looks good, I patched all possible holes, but we will see when we gonna put it back on the water whether there are any leaks.<br />trim/tilt pump is working, battery charger and water heater - big question :( Hope it will work.<br />Batteries though survived! I was impressed.<br />Cheers.