Merc Choke Adjustment

zimzim99

Recruit
What I have: 1986 Merc 230 V8 - 97 actual hours on the engine - freshwater use only<br /><br />The problem: The engine "floods" during cold or hot start-up 90% of the time. Started every time with no problems Saturday, but gave me problems again on Sunday. The engine really doesn't need to be choked, even when cold.<br /><br />Now, I'm not a mechanic or even know my way around an engine too well, so bear with me here.<br /><br />I have, what I believe is called, a Thermostatic choke? It also has a plunger (vacuum?) thingy attached to it also.<br /><br />My question: Is there anyway to adjust the spring inside the choke mechanism so that flapper opens easier when starting the engine? <br /><br />It seems a bit tight. I'm a bit leary about removing it and the possibility of having a bunch of parts go flying in different directions.<br /><br />The way I'm getting around this problem right now is by tieing fishing line around the choke lever and pulling it when starting. Works every time!<br /><br />Thanks

flashback

Captain
Re: Merc Choke Adjustment

don't know what carb you have but typically you will see some markings on the housing and you just loosen the screws and turn the housing in the indicated direction for less choke...hope this helps :D