No Gimbal Bearing Grease Fitting???

Alumarine

Captain
Hi there. My 1974 mercrusier 140 Gimble ring needs repairing so I picked up an entire Gimbal assembly from a 165 mercruiser of approximately the same vintage. It doesn't seem to have a Gimbal Bearing Grease Fitting. It's not like it's missing there isn't even a place for one.<br />I'm looking on the starboard side of my gimble housing near the bottom. Did mercruiser make them without fittings?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Gimbal Bearing Grease Fitting???

Has it been painted over because it was rusted off? Look closely at the starboard gimbal mount for a slight depression..........

74Silverline

Cadet

On my 74 Mercruiser with the 888, the gimble bearing grease fitting is located on the starboard side closer to the top....<br /><br /><br />74silverline

liner85

Seaman Apprentice

I had a '71 165hp mercruiser that did not have a grease fitting for the gimbal bearing. I believe these were originally equipped with a sealed gimbal bearing. I think this is common for the older mercs, but I'm not sure when or for what models they started using the grease fitting.

Alumarine

Captain

Thanks guys. I beleive the replacement assembly must be pre-1973. It has the new style bearing so I'll pack the bearing manually. I wasn't aware until now that it might not have a fitting so I'll stop looking.