Mercruiser 140 won't idle, backfires while starting

RonLLeffert

Recruit
I have a 1985 Mercruiser 140 that has been stored for the last 20 months. Fuel was stabilized, engine was oil fogged, and alternator belt was loosened when stored. I tried to start it yesterday after tightening the alternator belt. It took a lot of cranking, and several backfires, but it finally started. Seems to run fine, but won't idle. It ran fine when stored. Is this an ignition timing problem, a stuck valve, or a fuel problem?

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 140 won't idle, backfires while starting

was the fuel tank full when it was stored?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

How long is fuel stabilizer actually effective? 20 months seems like a long time.

tommays

Admiral

points dont usally store well for what ever reason and its and easy and cheep thing to change<br /><br />only a compression test will tell you the motor is healthy<br /><br />it doesent take much to gunk up the idle circut on the carb<br /><br />10% blend gas does not do well in storage compared to the real stuff<br /><br /><br />tommays

RonLLeffert

Recruit

Fuel tank was full when stored. Fuel stabilizer is stated to be good for 12 months, but I have had sucess with it up to 7 years in an outboard 2 cycle engine. Will check ignition and points.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A full tuneup after being winterized is almost manditory on engines with points.<br />Like tommays mentioned, points don't store well.<br />The tuneup should include, points, condenser, cap, rotor. Also set the points by dwell, not gap, reset timing, and adust carb mixture.<br />Check timing advance is working also.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rotor caps and rotors can condansate badly and cause a arcing path, which sounds like you.

RonLLeffert

Recruit

I have rebuilt the carburator, using a kit. Replaced accelerator pump and needle valve. Cleaned using carb cleaner and compressed air. Also changed points and plugs. Dwell set at 28 degrees (spec is 26-32). Checked compression. All cylinders range from 144 to 148 psi. Engine starts and runs, but won't idle below 1500 rpm. If I try to go lower, it starts shaking badly and then dies. Checked timing, but it is advanced due to engine speed. Can't check idle timing. Did I miss something in the carb. Seems like the idle circuit is not working. Carb and ignition seem to be in good shape visually (no gunk, carbon traces, cracks etc.)

tommays

Admiral

i would go back over the timeing and be sure its in spec you need to get down to 650 RPM<br /><br />its hard to hook up a vacume guage but this would let you know if theres a problem with a leaking intake and other stuff <br /><br />tommays

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

The "shaking badly" make me thinks like cyclops, check the cap.<br />A sticky valve would show up on the compression test.

RonLLeffert

Recruit

Inspected recently installed plugs after running for a few minutes. Found no. 3 plug was still shiny. Other plugs were blackened from firing. Checked all cylinders for spark plug fire and found that all were firing. Yesterday, I took your advice and replaced the rotor and cap. It worked!!!!! Engine now running fine. Cylinder no. 3 must have been crossfiring somehow. Inspected cap, but can see no cracks or carbon tracks. Interesting. Thanks for all of your info.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

RonL,<br /><br />Thanks for posting back your "fix". Lots never post their fix back to the forum.<br />Glad you problem is over.<br />Uncle Dave