ears and drive up or down

hvac6470

Cadet
Just got a 87 thundercraft with a 175 h v6 merc. To get water into system with the ears on do I have to have the drive down. With it up I cant get water in plugged?

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ears and drive up or down

Are you talking about muffs? Put the outdrive down and put them over the intake at the bottom of the drive. Dont run high rpm's and watch temp

hvac6470

Cadet

Ok got the drive down but cant gets water in through the drive. Removed hose just inside boat before power steering cooler no water. Dose motor have to run to get water through? Is there a pump in the out drive? its a alpha one

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

You need to hook that hose back up. When you start the boat the impellor will pull the water up into the motor. Let the boat idle and watch the temp gauge. You should see water coming out the exhaust

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a pump in the out drive? its a alpha one
Ayuh,......... There Sure Is......

wake5150

Seaman Apprentice

The outdrive "pump" is often refered to as the impeller.<br /><br />Newbie Note: NEVER run the motor without the muffs hooked up and water turned on. The impeller is lubricated by water, and could burn up in a matter of seconds if it's bone dry.<br /><br />The Seloc manual states the above message on EVERY single page where running the engine is necessary.<br /><br />Wake

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

and watch the fitting at the inlet muff!! sometimes the nipple will slip out of the muff and water will not run into outdrive, especially if you turn the water flow up too high.

hvac6470

Cadet

Found trim/tilt reservoir tank with a crack what do you all think of sealing is or replace?<br />o ya thanks for all the feed back on my water prob lol

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced mine this spring for the same reason.