"LS" Gear Lubes

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After reading the manual that mentions using Volvo Penta synthetic 75w-90 or equivalent GL-5 synthetic gear lube of the same weight, I ventured to the local autozone and grabbed 3 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic GL-5 75w-90 gear lube. I just ran across a thread saying to NOT use gear lubes with "limited slip" additives. Never heard of that term before, so I did some research. Seems like autozone only sells "LS" Mobil 1 gear lube. So apparently that's what I pumped into my SX-A without knowing it. My question is, why does the manual not specifically say to not use limited slip gear lubes? Does Mobil 1 even make this lube without these additives anymore? I'm thinking a lot of people use this gear lube without knowing it has these additives.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: "LS" Gear Lubes

Ayuh,.... I donno, but I've been usin' Mobil 1, 75W-90 since it 1st came out, 'n still do...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There have been a couple of posts in the past by members trying to use the LS, and they ended up with drives that had slipping problems. They went back to the oil without the LS additive and it worked fine again. So I guess the answer would be DO NOT use the GL5 Synthetic with the LS additive.

One note, this is for Volvo drives with cone clutches, dog clutches are not a problem.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bondo, do your bottles say "LS" on them, or mention limited slip anywhere? And do you use it on a VP or Bravo drives with cone clutches?

Don I did notice it was a cone clutch slipping thing, and I do have a cone clutch. I don't want to throw any $35 of brand new gear lube but if it saves me from having drive repairs it is probably worth it. I'm guessing it's just too small of an occurance for Volvo to update their manuals about it.

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo, do your bottles say "LS" on them, or mention limited slip anywhere? And do you use it on a VP or Bravo drives with cone clutches?

Don I did notice it was a cone clutch slipping thing, and I do have a cone clutch. I don't want to throw any $35 of brand new gear lube but if it saves me from having drive repairs it is probably worth it. I'm guessing it's just too small of an occurance for Volvo to update their manuals about it.

Don't think so, have to go look...

I'll also note, I'm babysittin' nothin' but Alphas...

Don S

The Mobile 1 does say LS on the ones with the limited slip additive.

You also want to be careful comparing Volvo and Mercruiser, even with the Bravo which has a cone clutch. They are different materials, so what might work on a Bravo, might not work on a Volvo, and vise-versa.

7070039_mbi_511303_pri_larg.jpg

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Don my bottles definitely say LS on them. You'd think Volvo would warn of this in the manual but nope. For the shadetree mechanic who doesn't frequent these forums, they'd never know any better.

Don S

Volvo only tells you what to use, not what not to use.

The only thing I am basing this on is others posting not to use the LS type because it was a problem in their Volvo drives. No personal experience one way or the other. In another thread, bruce58 is saying he uses it. So who knows for sure.
If you use it and your drive slips, get it out ASAP before you need drive repair.