VolvoPenta outdrive lube issue settled for me

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Of course we all know that VP recommends either their gear lube OR Mobilube 1 SHC Fully Synthetic 75W-90 for their late model outdrives and that the VP stuff is rather pricey. If you have tried to find the Mobilube in the US you know it isn't going to happen. Several retailers have suggested that Mobil Delvac Synthetic 75W-90 was simply renamed Mobilube SHC so I fired off an email to Mobil and asked.

Here is the response from Luc in the ExxonMobil Marine Lube department: "That retailer was correct -- Delvac Syn Gear 75W-90 is the modern replacement for the old SHC 75W-90. Use it with confidence."

The Delvac is not all that pricey especially if you can find it locally. My research turned up some at Truck Centers, Inc. in MO & IL for $38.06/gallon through the end of August. Real good price. I just ordered some for $47/gallon (with free shipping) as I am in AL. Still not real bad.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive Lube issue settled for me

Volvo recommends grade GL5 Synthetic in their drives. If it meets that spec, it's fine, doesn't matter who the manufacturer of the GL5 synthetic is.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Volvo recommends grade GL5 Synthetic in their drives. If it meets that spec, it's fine, doesn't matter who the manufacturer of the GL5 synthetic is.

Even if the GL5 has limited slip additives in it?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Even if the GL5 has limited slip additives in it?

Same question I wanted to ask...

Thalasso

Commander

Bought my Mobil 1 75-90 LS (GL5 rated) at Auto Zone for $6.00 a qt.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have been reading lots about gear lube, and Mobil 1 sounds like the way to go.

And the price is right...

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VolvoPenta outdrive lube issue settled for me

I point-blank asked VP Customer Relations the following question in an email: "is gear lube with limited slip additives (such as those used in limited slip automobile differentials) safe for use in a VP DPS-A outdrive. In other words, will limited slip additives cause damage to the cone clutch in this unit?" I got this non-responsive response from VP: "Not recommended."

I also asked Dave at Redline the same question (because I happen to have five gallons of Redline 75W-90 synthetic gear lube which has limited slip additives in it). I did not save the email but his response was to the effect that limited slip additives had no effect on the cone clutches in outdrives, although he did express a preference for a different Redline lube than what I have.

To be safe, I am not going to use gear lube with LS additives.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

2 tests (among many others) are frequently used for gear lubricating oils.

ASTM D3233B (Falex Test) and D2783 (4-Ball test)

D3233B is simply a journal rotating (approx 300 RPM) in a V-block while submerged in the test oil. pressure (lbs) is applied to the shaft until the oil "fails" ("scars" the journal)

D2783 From http://www.falex.com/pdf/FalexFourBallEP.pdf
The Falex Four-Ball EP Test rotates a ?-inch diameter ball in contact with three similar balls held stationary in the test cup. The contact surfaces are covered with test lubricant, a load is applied and a timed test is performed. Normally, the wear scars on the three lower balls are measured and averaged. The test is generally terminated at the load where the rotating ball ‘welds’ to the three stationary balls.

Neither the API or the NMMA (or SAE for that matter) has specified a "marine spec" for stern drive or outboard gear lubricant. (other than the standard API GL-5 etc)

Mercury and Amsoil (don't know about OMC/BRP or Volvo) have actually claimed that their "marine" gear lubricants will maintain the "spec'd" ratings if contaminated with 10% water.

I would be willing to bet that ALL gear lubricants maintain ratings when "contaminated" with only 10% water........ It's just that the other producers of gear oils don't bother do the "water" test because there's really no ASTM standard for it (other than the standard ones)

I don't know why Amsoil doesn't post the 4-ball test with water contamination (or all of them for that matter) , I suspect that they post the V-block test because it supports their claim of no degradation with 10% water contamination where maybe 4-ball test wouldn't be so great.... (Maybe one of the Amsoil fanboy "dealers" can get "post-able" info from Amsoil for all of us to see.......but I'll bet it's a "secret" if it doesn't make them look "good")

None of the "BS" above really matters though.

Just use what the drive manufacturer suggests, change it when they suggest and you'll be JUST FINE!

Cheers,

Rick

AND by the way, if you want to know more about gear oil ratings..... have a look at the following from Lubrizol (the company that makes the oil additives that go in your favorite oil)

http://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdditives/AutomotiveGearOil/GL5.html

otterby

Seaman

I've always used VP Gear Lube untin this summer, I got tired or having to order gear online. I filled the drive with Mobil 1 75w-90 LS not realizing there was a difference. I'm glad I read this forum and will now replace the LS fluid. The only other gear lube I can find locally is a Sierra synthetic gear lube for VP drives, it doesn't say what weight it is on the bottle but I assume it's 75w-90. Is the Sierra a good product or should I break down and order the VP gear lube online? I would almost be willing to bet the Sierra and VP are the exact same product.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The above should answer your question..........

otterby

Seaman

The Mobil 1 75w-90 LS says it meets and exceeds a GL5 but the consensus here seems to be that it's not a good idea.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just use what the drive manufacturer suggests, change it when they suggest and you'll be JUST FINE!

VP specifically recommends their gear lube OR Mobilube 1 SHC Fully Synthetic 75W-90 (at least in the service manual for the model DPS I have). As I stated in my first post, the SHC is not marketed as such in the US. Before inquiring to ExxonMobil about whether the Delvac Syn was the same as the SHC, I first asked VP about the Delvac Syn and merely got another non-responsive response. Guess what I am trying to say is that VP doesn't really make an effort to provide their customers with a lot of useful information other than "use our products." I understand they are not in the business of recommending other brand name products (however they did in the case of gear lube) but they could be more forthcoming when specifically asked, for instance, will LS additives damage the outdrive. No other brand recommendation there. If *any* GL-5 lube is sufficient, then I suppose it doesn't matter if it has LS additives in it or not. (Before the reading I did here and other research, I did run the M1 LS 75W-90 in my DPS for 5 hours and noticed a bit of slip on heavy acceleration. I first attributed it to prop slip, but after changing out the fluid to a non-LS lube I haven't noticed it since. Clutch slip? Don't know.)

Perhaps VP Customer Reps simply do not know answers to technical questions and just read from a script like so many others ...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gl-5 Synthetic, is NOT the same thing as GL-5 Limited Slip Synthetic. Am I missing something here?

Perhaps VP Customer Reps simply do not know answers to technical questions and just read from a script like so many others ...

True, they aren't tech reps, they are customer service reps. Volvo dealers have access to the Tech Reps, and I can tell you for sure they know what they are talking about.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VolvoPenta outdrive lube issue settled for me

I was not aware that there was an API GL-5 LS spec. Wish I had discovered it sooner. Thanks Don.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil

"API GL-5. Oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective anti-scuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes, generally non limited-slip differentials. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except synchronized gearboxes specifying GL-4). Some GL-5 oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials only if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS."

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I would be willing to bet that ALL gear lubricants maintain ratings when "contaminated" with only 10% water........ It's just that the other producers of gear oils don't bother do the "water" test because there's really no ASTM standard for it (other than the standard ones)

I don't know why Amsoil doesn't post the 4-ball test with water contamination (or all of them for that matter) , I suspect that they post the V-block test because it supports their claim of no degradation with 10% water contamination where maybe 4-ball test wouldn't be so great.... (Maybe one of the Amsoil fanboy "dealers" can get "post-able" info from Amsoil for all of us to see.......but I'll bet it's a "secret" if it doesn't make them look "good")

I bet you're right!...