Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

I am going to mount my seats to a crate that I can use as storage. This way my dog (a puggle) can have more floor space when we are out on the water. I made the seat mounts with a swivel that will be attached to the crate with hinges on the front side (this way when I lean back the seat won't tilt. I'm thinking of securing the crate to the floor with a latch of some sort for quick removal. Any ideas on other ways of securing the crate?photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice

This is the latch I was thinking of using. The bolt could just go through the bottom of the crate to keep it from tipping.4b698ef9-9185-4807-90a3-019827f1316a_4.jpg

mariner 4

Recruit

Nice and clean.....get that thing out on the water!

Thanks. I've taken it fishing several times, just not with the chairs and cooler yet. Thanks for all the videos you made!

sorry but that beautiful pool with grass and big rocks in the background just took my eyes off the boat!

The pool is nice, just gets a little tight for trolling. I envy your boat by the way.

That looks great! How do you like the seat mounts? Those are exactly what I was considering if I can't find a flush mount pedestal system that quick disconnects.

The seat mounts are stable. I wanted something I could move around easily and I can store items underneath. I'm not convinced they are any easier to move and store than a pedestal would have been though. I'll let you know when I spend some time on the lake with them.

That's a cool set up and a cooler with wheels - super. Do the chairs swivel?

I love your testing facility.

Thanks. Yes the chairs swivel nicely. I bought them after fishing with a friend and discovering how uncomfortable I was sitting on the inflatables and trying to cast in different directions. I found the cooler that fit in the boat as snug as the inflatable seats. I was thinking it could work as storage/table/drink holder... and maybe put a smaller cooler inside like ChristianMariner, but I wonder if it's just too big.

1 EVILZ06

Recruit

Hi guys new to the forum from NC! This spilled over from youtube vids! Was looking at vids on mods and ended up here! My Mariner 4 is finnally done! Hitting Belews lake up this Monday morning. My mods are pretty sweet as is alot of you guys! Running a Suzuki 2.5 on the back! And grabed mine from Amazon! Useing 15/32 ply/carpet for the hard floor,over the slatted floor! Two piece. Mounted twin matching matching pedistal seats. Atwood! Good looking boats guys!

Now does the damn thing catch fish? lol

astanton81

Seaman

Okay so good news - I got the boat in my car! It is a tight fit but it actually fits! I just won't be having any passengers in my car lol. But if I go out with someone else, we'll take their car.

I got the boat in the trunk in the bag, with 2 of the seats in there. Then I got the motor, net, fishing rod, motor, and oars in the trunk.

Then behind the passenger seat I put the floor standing upright. Behind the driver side seat I got the battery on the floor, but I did have to move the seat up a bit to fit it back there.

Then in the front floor area I have a milk crate with the anchor, fish finder, fasteners for the motor mount, and I think that's it. Then I put the motor mount, life vest, and tackle box up there too as you can see in the pictures.

My goal was to get it in without putting anything on the leather seats. And I wanted the boat in the trunk because it will be a bit wet when I bring it in from taking it out.

Anyways, I've attached the pics just so people can see how you can squeeze it into a small sports car!

photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Last edited:

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! I have seen other similar quick release seat mounts, but was looking to have the quick release on the floor so I can fold the floor up neatly in my trunk without without any protrusions. I wonder if this would work mounting the bracket on the floor instead of the seat?

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice

That's awesome!! I can only imagine the looks you were getting as you pulled all that gear out of your car at the lake.:eek:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

so, hey guys, got the boat loaded up tonight....I mean battery and all! Will be headed out early in the am hopefully to troll for some pike and loading up on some bass....hell I don't care if I catch a thousand bluegill at this point! I'm soooo ready to get on the water....its been over a month. For anyone familiar with my setup (can be found in the earlier pages and on youtube) I am adding two trolling holders on the front milk crate storage area I have and I'll be trolling the deep water of our local lake. I hope to get a couple small videos up of my trip (I need video lessons from Christian since i'm only on a phone!) I'll let you know how it goes! Glad all you new guys are so excited about our boats, for the money they cant be beat!!!

mrdrh99

Ok, after a scorching day on the lake we have got to get back our plans for an easily removable bimini top...every time i go out i get fried up! I'm at work at Lowe's today and I'll be brainstorming

RVman

Cadet

A quick question. Is there much of a difference in top end speed between a 30,40 or 55 lb thrust motor on the Mariner 4 ? I'm picking a 40 up this Wednesday. My understanding is that the difference would be trolling at lower speeds using less battery therefor increasing your time on the water with a 40 or 55 over the 30. Is that correct ?

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so good news - I got the boat in my car! It is a tight fit but it actually fits! I just won't be having any passengers in my car lol. But if I go out with someone else, we'll take their car.

I got the boat in the trunk in the bag, with 2 of the seats in there. Then I got the motor, net, fishing rod, motor, and oars in the trunk.

Then behind the passenger seat I put the floor standing upright. Behind the driver side seat I got the battery on the floor, but I did have to move the seat up a bit to fit it back there.

Then in the front floor area I have a milk crate with the anchor, fish finder, fasteners for the motor mount, and I think that's it. Then I put the motor mount, life vest, and tackle box up there too as you can see in the pictures.

My goal was to get it in without putting anything on the leather seats. And I wanted the boat in the trunk because it will be a bit wet when I bring it in from taking it out.

Anyways, I've attached the pics just so people can see how you can squeeze it into a small sports car!

View attachment 206159View attachment 206160View attachment 206158

Nice! How was your trip to the water?

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, after a scorching day on the lake we have got to get back our plans for an easily removable bimini top...every time i go out i get fried up! I'm at work at Lowe's today and I'll be brainstorming

Bro, that is what I hope for. I don't fish, I just go excursioning with my GF and her toddler... the sun is too much at about 7+ hours lol. I am still using the umbrellas. These oarlocks are sturdy enough to bolt the main braces for the bimini to, and then we could just anchor the front and the back to the grab handles or something... right?

mrdrh99

Christian.....the idea i had was a high quality landscape fabric on a pvc frame....may wait until a winter project but we'll see...

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice

I chose to go with pedestals for my seat mounts. This is easier to instal and remove as we'll as a much lighter set up.
I foun a quick access hole cover for th floor that will cover the hole that allows access to the keel inflation point. I used T-bolts from underneath the floor and sealed them in with silicone. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Christian.....the idea i had was a high quality landscape fabric on a pvc frame....may wait until a winter project but we'll see...

I love the PVC myself. Haha. Seriously, I might be addicted to it. I might attempt something before then, but we will see. The umbrella(s) really aren't bad, cause I don't have a fishing pole to hold. But that might change soon too...

comfy68

Seaman Apprentice

Next post won't be from my iPhone. Way to difficult to get the spelling correct. Sorry to come off like a dumb ***. DYAC:embarassed:

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A quick question. Is there much of a difference in top end speed between a 30,40 or 55 lb thrust motor on the Mariner 4 ? I'm picking a 40 up this Wednesday. My understanding is that the difference would be trolling at lower speeds using less battery therefor increasing your time on the water with a 40 or 55 over the 30. Is that correct ?

The more trust you have, more push you get, therefore faster you should be able to move. However in reality when you try to move faster, you have increased resistance from the water. So upping from 40 to 50 does not mean automatic increase of 25% of speed. This is probably difficult question to answer as the most of the people don't have the experience of comparing the two on Mariner 4. I choose 55 lbs because I wanted to be able to move my boat against current and wind. My 55lbs moves my mariner about 4.5 mph ish.

I do not believe you will save battery juice with bigger motor. It is the other way around with 5 speed. If the battery life is your main concern, you should go small with 5 speed. Hopefully wind does not pick up too badly.

If you have variable speed motor and wanted to move your boat at the certain speed, in theory you will be using same amount of trust and drawing the same amount of current no matter if you have 40 or 55, if everything else is equal (but they are not). You will be turning the knob more with 40 lbs than 55 lbs. However, this does not mean you are using less battery juice with 55 because full throttle with 55 lbs use more current than 40 lbs.

Last edited:

mrdrh99

From the research I've done your top speed won't change much but.....when you get caught up in a current or especially wind, the extra is nice....i only have a 30#myself and sooooo wish i had gone for the foot controlled transom mount 45