dual axle

Clay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 8000 lbs boat, do I need two 4000 lbs axles. Or does'nt it work that way

D

DJ

Re: dual axle

cootie,<br /><br />Not necessarily. You also need to figure in the weight of the trailer and all the extras like; fuel, gear, etc.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

djohns is right,<br />You need to figure for extra gear, ect. It's always best to have extra capacity even if you will never use it.

Clay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys. forgot about trailer weight. I'm looking at atleast 10000 lbs then. what I was wondering if two axles double capacity. then would three axles triple capacity

D

DJ

cootie,<br /><br />Sort of. <br /><br />You still have to figure what is the weakest link. The weak link could be: tires, springs, axle, wheels.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget the tire rating. It will tell you the maximum capacity for the tire. Example: If you have four "D" rated tires that are good for 1750 pounds each...this implies 7000# load maximum. A trailer can't be rated greater than the tires. A samll but important point when replacing tires. ;)

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with the tire dealer for exact weights you need. Different sizes in the "D" rage do have different capacities. My D range 225/75/r15 can carry of 2400# each. If D is not enough there is "E" range too. Just make sure the trailer suspension is up to the weight of the load too.