Dad's been downsized! (update)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Dad called today. Last week he went to the companies competator and was offered a job on the spot. His year experience in the wholesale industry was something they wanted, and they made a part time position for him until full time opened up. They were taking over routes from his old company. BUT he decided to get out of that work and took a different job also offered to him today. He will be driving truckc for a charitable organization, traveling the western part of his state picking up and delivering truck loads of donated items. He decided he will enjoy the change from the wholesale food shipping business. Pay is less but benefits are better.<br /><br /><br />Got an E-mail from my mother this past week. My dad has lost his job. They shut down all truck routes from his district. He is in charge of transferring loads from the incoming trucks off to the local routes. He is also in charge of all of the drivers for that district, and runs a few of his own routes. <br />He has been with the same company for around 40 years (I think 41). Will be 62 in December, and was considering retiring in 3 1/2 years. So after 40 years of dedicated service he is out just like that with 4 weeks extra pay for his trouble.

KRS

Banned
Re: Dad's been downsized! (update)

wow, that's awful news.<br /><br />I hope they are financially okay and he finds a direction to go.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That draws some serious air dd. Sorry to hear that.<br />Maybe he is able to take retirement early.

JRJ

Commander

Your Dad may find it a lot more relaxing to drive for another outfit and let his new truck-boss do the worrying. At 62 he can collect SS and still work some. Good luck to him.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

That really does blow. But I'll bet he can find something worth doing for another three years if he wants it. The trucking industry is going at a full-tilt pace and they're in real need of people.<br /><br />It's a real shame that employers treat people the way they do these days. It's like they think they're getting ahead if they can screw their help and cast them aside. I'd bet that if it could all be quantified, they'd find out that they would get more out of people if they treated them right.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, that blows. Wouldn't it be sweet if he started his own trucking buisness and became competition?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think he wants to go over the road, but he will be able to find some local routes pretty easily I think. They are fairly stable, but have all their savings tied up for a few more years. They have a pretty set plan for retirement that will give them more income than they make now, they just need to hang on a few more years before pulling their money out. <br /><br />I think he will be happier overall working somewhere where he is not the manager. He liked it and all, but the stress has to be less. Health insurance will be his biggest hurdle if he decides to go ahead and pull out now. <br /><br />Mom's job at the factory is slowing down too. I see in a year or less they will be cutting or closing. But then who knows. She has been there almost 20 years. <br /><br />I just can't imagine 40 years at the same place then poof all gone. If it were me I would rather a employee pool of people who had been there for years. The level of experience and knowledge of the business is worth a lot.

heycods

Captain

The Corprate logic is to get rid of us older folks, were to much of a drain on thier health plans.I lived through two of thoes cuts where I used to work, they were perty nasty thing to behold. Not to late for pop to open a bait shop for the summer, then see what comes up.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Missed this last night DD. Real chitty of them to do so something like this.

ehenry

Commander

I know the feeling D'Dawg. I got cut loose on the 10th. I didn't have 40+ years of service with the company but hurts just the same.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

:( Grim news indeed DD, very grim. Hope your dad gets something else to tide him over for the few years that he needs. Maybe even something that he enjoys more. I wish him all the best and hope his down-time is short and sweet.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Welcome to corporate America :( :( . Hope all turns out well for your parents DD, we'll be pulling for them.