1974 Ouachita Tri-hull Bass Boat Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 Ouachita Tri-hull Bass Boat Restoration

I took my time and let some of it cure, then sawed it off so I could place the waste pieces on top of the next pour to keep from having so much waste. However, I think pressing the waste pieces into the next pour may have interfered with the normal expansion of the pour. I did notice one thing. If you try to move the excess foam from high areas to low areas, it seems to "go flat" and if you do suceed in moving it it seems to be more dense.

PB210006.jpg

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At any rate, I'm glad this part is over. I'd much rather be fishin' than workin on this thing any day! I had to keep it tarped and heated pretty much the whole time sinse the temps stayed abt 80*F the whole time. I'm not EVEN going to mention forgetting to hit "X 2 " on the calculator AFTER I figured how much foam I needed for ONE side of the boat --- OR having to order TWICE. I didn't even feel like laughing abt it but the lady at Us composits sure did when I admitted how dumb I could be. Oh well, they say laughter is the best medicine. US Composites = Good Folks

Bet you never saw a pic of a boat with a piece of plastic over it. Heater inside!
PB210009.jpg

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried to pour a puddle of foam and quickly screed it off to fill some spots that were still a little low and here's what the results looked like. It did work to some degree without making it much harder to saw.

PB220002.jpgPB220001.jpg

All in all it came out much better than I anticipated. I've still got some sanding to do but I'm leaving some areas slightly high to compensate for uneven stringers.

PB220003.jpgPB220004.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

that was uh.. harder than it hard to be... have you seen oops' post about decking and foaming?

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Zopperman, Yea it probably was harder than it had to be. But I think those of us who pinch pennies 'till they SCREAM like a pig tend to sweat more than necessary. Have you got a link to the info since I still have the decking to do? Maybe reading "Options" will lead to less elbow grease.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After seeing all the work some are getting done, it kinda shamed me into doing a little myself. I finally got the last piece of wood glued in under the cap today.The temp made it up to 69*F then started dropping so it's plastis and lights again. I'm doing my drill oversize/fill/redrill to correct size on all the wood in an effort to keep as much water out as possible. Here's a couple of pics - still need to add the t-nuts and some glass.

.PB220005.jpgPB220006.jpg

rrumba

Ensign

at least you are making progress there bud. some is better than none

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I decided to set the cap back on the hull today to see how things lined up.
20120131_01.jpg

I clamped the bow section and a few spots to hold the sides in place first. As you can see it came together pretty good.
20120131_02.jpg

However, it's off at the stern - a little over an 1/8". It looks like the cap has shrunk or the hull has grown. The two lips should be together because they are covered by an aluminum trim all the way around the boat. Here's a couple of pics showing the problem.
20120131_04.jpg20120131_03.jpg

Anybody got a quick easy solution or am I going to be cutting and re-glassing? BTW, the two lips get glassed together with a piece of csm between them when its put back permanently.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, as usual, I jumped the gun. After thinking about it I couldn't see how anything could have changed. I took another look and found a couple of rivet holes at the back that held the trim piece on. They were almost perfectly lined up. I checked the trim and it had been spread open to accommodate the gap on both sides of the transom. SO I guess it's all where it was originally. Now I just need to sand the lip repairs for a better mating surface.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sanded some of the paint off the cap to see what it looked like and found lots of little tiny cracks in the gelcoat. Of course there are a few bigger stress cracks as well here and there on the boat. What do I use to fill the cracks? I'm planning on using automotive enamel paint.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post some pics of em.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey WOG, here's what it looks like. For perspective, the larger hole is 3/8" dia and all others are 1/4". The worst areas were under two pieces of 3/4"plywood but there are lesser spots here and there around the boat. The cap is up-side-down right now so its difficult to get a really good pic. Please tell me there's a cheap and easy way to take care of this. I'm way too committed at this point to buy a new boat. It's painted blue over orchid collored gelcoat.

.20120202_03.jpg20120202_02.jpg20120202_01.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OUCH!!!! Solly Cholly...No easy way round this one. That gelcoat is toast. It's all gotta be sanded down to the glass. A 4 1/2" grinder and 24-36 grit paper will do it pretty quick. Secondary with 80 grit and final sand with 180. Two coats of Primer and you'll be ready for Color. Cheap yeah, Easy...not to bad just a lot of sanding a prepping to make her look smooth.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Wood, I was afraid it was going to be something like that. I've got a 4 1/2" Hitachi grinder 10,000 rpm's. Is that what you're talking about? If so, what do I need to buy so I can use sand paper with it? Is it hook and loop or glue-on set-up?

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well folks, I finally started working again on my boat. I glassed the top cap back on, waited about 4 hrs then flipped her over and glassed the under-side while the clamps were still on. I,ve been glassing holes, dings, and a couple of fractures in the glass that I didn't even know were there.

As you can see from the pics I've sanded down to the glass in many areas to get rid of the cracks in the gelcoat as well as the patched areas - still have the keel to sand and build back up and some deep scratches to do something with(remnants of trying to run over the game wardens boat many yrs ago) My question is: Will the primer and paint seal the bare glass against water intrusion or do I need to seal with something else first? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The blue color is Amerflint paint and the orchid color is gelcoat. I don't remember if the paint was one or two part but it held up really well and well bonded to the gelcoat.

Attachments

• P4020001.jpg
    P4020001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P4270005.jpg
    P4270005.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 6

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I have so much glass showing thru I decided to sand all the paint off and go over the whole thing with something to prime/seal before painting. I could sure use some help here to determine what to use. I've been reading about epoxy primers. Is there a difference between regular 2-part epoxy and epoxy primer? Thanks for your help.

ibmj54

Cadet

I have a question for you that you might or anybody can help me with. I have 1978 ouachita bass boat I just picked up my problem is from the tilt and trim the wires and cut in the well switch is on dash is there a relay between the to and where would it be located. your help is needed

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry imbj54, I don't have trim and tilt on mine so maybe someone else will chime in who will be able to help. I did find some in-line fuses behind the starboard wall panel for my lights, so if there IS a relay you may want to pull the panels and check. Wish I could be more help.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm pretty close to having the hull preped for primer so I used some scraps of wood to build the contraption below to make it easier to flip the boat. Just bolt it to the transom using the drain hole and stern eye holes. Hook the hoist to the bolt in the middle of the thing, hoist it up and rotate it with one hand. I couldn't believe how much easier it was.

P6010006.jpg

Here's a shot of the pits and cracks in the gelcoat that i'm trying to sand out, (well, most of it)

P6010003.jpg

and a pic of the transom/top cap joint that I've yet to glass (this joint was never glassed from the factory). I see no reason why it should be left opened?????

P6010005.jpg

I'm thinking of maybe mixing some poly/silica (or buying some fairing compound of some kind) to fill the pits/cracks. Does anybody know of any problems that this would create? The worst areas were actually underneath a couple of pieces of plywood used for stepping onto the front of the boat.

As always, all advice is mostwelcome.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm getting close to priming and painting time on my boat. I have my paint sprayer and primer on hand but need to glass the deck in first. On the primer can (Pettit Protect two-part Epoxy primer #4100/4101((same as 4700/4701 only white instead of gray)) it says you can recoat or topcoat within a certain time period without sanding. My question is: does this primer produce amine blush like 2-part epoxy clear coat? Maybe some of you who have used this primer can give me some advice or tips on how to proceed. Should I thin it a little and what size fluid tip gave you the best results? I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.