3.7 stator issue

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pulled apart my 3.7/165 (1988)
To replace the cam seals and found some rust on the stator.
Appears it was epoxied originally.
Was this for insulating purposes or just to prevent corrosion?
I need to stick with the original setup for cash sake.
Should I clean up and epoxy or paint?
Anyone deal with this already?
-br

Attachments

• CIMG0716.jpg
    CIMG0716.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0

Golflover

Seaman
Re: 3.7 stator issue

I'm not certain of the precise answer but am rather curious why you're replacing the stator. My 3.7 just died (stalled)after running great all summer and I can't restart it. It cranks, but does not turn over. I'm thinking it is something electrical rather than fuel or compression. I have ruled out the fuel pump by getting a steady stream when cranking it. Oil is clean, no water in the cylinders. Perhaps the condensor or points are causing the issue so I will change those and let you know if this solves the issue. Rotor cap, coil, wires, points and condenser were new last year. New rebuilt starter and solenoid last year. Rebuilt carb last year. Like I said, the boat has run awesome all last year and this year.

I was wondering if a stator can go bad and cause an immediate kill of the motor????? Or if this was your situation.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That doesn't look too bad. I would say do a minimal cleanup and recoat with epoxy. just to keep the rust contained. Make sure that you do not damage the coils.

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

No my issue is worn cam seals.
In order to get to them you have to remove the rotor, stator; and other things.
I'm not replacing the stator; just removed it and noticed corrosion.
As to your issue the stator is just part of the alternator that recharges the battery.
If you're able to crank; then you have battery power. If your stator / alternator dies then the battery will slowly discharge without being recharged.

Did you at least check for spark?
-br

Golflover

Seaman

Thanks for the input. Yes I did check for spark and it appears weak (yellow/pink).
To validate the find of a weak spark I noticed the last three times on the water a black sooty film appeared on my transom after I trailered the boat. It has dawned on me now that this is evidence of a poor combustion exhaust. It has run fantastically for two years now. Perhaps new points/condensor or coil????

zbnutcase

Commander

Thanks for the input. Yes I did check for spark and it appears weak (yellow/pink).
To validate the find of a weak spark I noticed the last three times on the water a black sooty film appeared on my transom after I trailered the boat. It has dawned on me now that this is evidence of a poor combustion exhaust. It has run fantastically for two years now. Perhaps new points/condensor or coil????

Sounds like condenser. And points/condenser should be changed yearly.

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

That doesn't look too bad. I would say do a minimal cleanup and recoat with epoxy. just to keep the rust contained. Make sure that you do not damage the coils.

Thanks Terry - I'll clean it up and recoat with epoxy.
-br

Golflover

Seaman

Changed out the condensor and points, no change. It "coughed" once, but then nothing. Still cranks, but will not turn over. I turned it over in a dark garage to see if I could see a "light" show, but nothing. Could a bad starter or starter solenoid rob the balance of the ignition system the juice necessary to give a good spark? I don't know.

I'll post my issue rather than dove tailing off yours. Thanks for you help though.

KP