johnson 235 starting issue

riverside1

Recruit
have 1985 235 johnson outboard. last weekend started easily at dock, after running for a short time shut motor off. when i tried to restart a few minutes later engine would not turn over. could here starter trying to engage and would then kick out. after waiting approximately 10 minutes tried again and motor started easily? returned to dock, shut motor off and no problems restarting.

old timer here, seem liked vapor lock? possible or something else?
have also noticed if try to start on one battery, battery must be fully charged to get enough rpms to start engine.

thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 235 starting issue

I would start be getting the batteries load tested. Can be done for free at a Canadian Tire or the like in your area. If they check out, ensure there are no nicks, cuts, abrasions or 'crunching' when you flex the wiring at the battery, grounds, solenoid and starter. Also ensure that all the connections are clean and tight. Take them apart and file them with a file or emory cloth or the like.

Let us know what you find

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

How old is your wiring? I suspect that there are badwires in your starting system. What i mean is that there is way too much resistance in the actual wiring and/or connections of the starting circuit. There is probably actual corrosion in the wires not just at the terms. Check your wiring. If its as old as your motor, it's just good cheap insurance to replace it. I have an '85 150 and did the exact same thing.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Hydraulic lock? Check for signs of water in a cyl.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Hydraulic lock? Check for signs of water in a cyl.

I kinda thought he was referring to heat soak by that statement.

I thought that the heat soak issue was more likely on the 60 degree motors though (90-175hp) with the plastic carbs and manifolds and their compact design. Does the 235 fall into that category?

If that is your issue, simply let the motor idle longer than normal when you restart, check link n sync, richen up the idle screw a half turn or so, and be sure that your motor is well tuned with the proper plugs gapped per spec.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Also possible that one of the pistons is not cooling properly (defective water diverter) and it overheated one cyl. An overheated piston will probably not sound a horn, but can lock the engine till it cools down.

riverside1

Recruit

thnks for infor, will try suggestions when i get back up to boat in about a month. will let you know what i find.