Conflicting Spark plug info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Have a 2005 NS40D.
The owner's manual was at the cottage and i needed plugs so I did a "google" and found on the Nissan Marine site the following....

Part #
97010-1005M NGK - BP7HS-10 5 / 8 / 9.8 / 9.9 / 15 / 18 / 25 / 30 / 40hp 2-Stroke

I took that as NGK-BP7HS-10 are correct for my motor, and bought 3.
I double checked when i got to the cottage and the owners manual says B7HS-10 or BR7HS-10.

Befor I go back to the store and get the "Plain Jane" B7HS-10s, any NGK gurus know if the "BP" is actually OK or was that just an error or typo on Nissan's website?

Also, what is the reason to choose the "BR" resistor type?

Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Conflicting Spark plug info

It takes a B7HS-10 or a BR7HS-10 if you are in Canada or just like resistor plugs.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

It takes a B7HS-10 or a BR7HS-10 if you are in Canada or just like resistor plugs.

Yes, the obvious thing is to use the plugs that came with it....I just had to buy them without being able to refer to the "sample" that I have kept from the first time I changed them....it is a B7HS-10 after the fact. :rolleyes:

If it had not been the Nissan Marine site i would not have trusted the info re: BP7HS-10.
http://www.nissanmarine.com/accessories/misc.html

Just a typo?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's just a new plug with a slightly different tip. The new engines from the factory come with those and they will work in the older models, so, to make the world a more simple place, the chart does not reflect that the old plugs existed:)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks.
Took the BP7HS-10s back ....sounds like I could actually have used them.
Had to buy BR7HS as they did not have B7HS-10.

pvanv

Admiral

TG is correct as usual. The R is for resistor, which helps with radio interference. The P is for Projected tip, which is the newer design. The -10 means that the factory pre-gapped the plug at 1mm. No guarantee that the plugs are still gapped at 1mm when you get them, so it's a good idea to verify the gap.

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TG is correct as usual. The R is for resistor, which helps with radio interference.

Paul -- any downside to running BR7HS in my M40C? I get VHF interference currently (radio is transom mounted) and it would be nice to reduce it.

Cheers,

Jon

pvanv

Admiral

The R plug is fine. They are technically interchangeable, but required in Canada. Same tip, same heat range, etc. Might lower AM interference a little, but probably won't do much for VHF-FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.