johnson fast strike 150 problems

totorunner

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a 1997 glastron gs180 that stalls on hot startups. It cranks up fine the first time when it is cold and runs normal. However, if I shut the engine down for either 5 minutes or an hour it stalls when putting it in gear and trying to takeoff. They only way I can get it to go is by free revving it several times and then planning up as quickly as possible. Once she gets going it is fine once again. I can stop, let it idle and takeoff again without issues.

If I turn it off for a few minutes it will do this again. What is the issue?

Also my tachometer does not work. When I turn the boat on the needle moves some but does not read anything. The info center lights work normally though. Not sure if this is related by I figured I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and fix both!

Thanks in advance

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice
Re: johnson fast strike 150 problems

I've read about this issue a lot on this forum. These V6 engines seem to be very touchy. My 1996 175 HP does it sometimes (only the port side engine), and the other engine stalls a lot when shifting at the dock. I read that it could be warped carbs. Today I screwed with the idle mixtures. We'll see if that helps. I'm not sure which part warps, but on mine the plates on the left side of the carbs all appear warped. I'm ready for fuel injection! My friend's 200 E-Tecs run well, but still not perfect.

Good luck!

jonesg

Admiral

Hey all,

I have a 1997 glastron gs180 that stalls on hot startups. It cranks up fine the first time when it is cold and runs normal. However, if I shut the engine down for either 5 minutes or an hour it stalls when putting it in gear and trying to takeoff. They only way I can get it to go is by free revving it several times and then planning up as quickly as possible. Once she gets going it is fine once again. I can stop, let it idle and takeoff again without issues.

If I turn it off for a few minutes it will do this again. What is the issue?

Also my tachometer does not work. When I turn the boat on the needle moves some but does not read anything. The info center lights work normally though. Not sure if this is related by I figured I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and fix both!

Thanks in advance

Can we assume the year is a 1997?
Sounds like heat soak. USe search function for cause.

A fix,
Let it idle to cool down before turning it off.
Then pump the bulb firm before re-starting.

To avoid try gas without E10.

Is the battery charging when its running?

totorunner

Cadet

I'll try letting it idle to see if that helps. Will also try trimming the engine up to where the prop is slightly out of the water to reduce load then bring the throttle up some and trim down.

My fuel bulb does not ever get firm...the oil one does though...? Should I replace it? I never have a problem starting it...just keeping it running once hot.

As for the tach, the batteries do charge. I get about 15 volts with the motor on.

Not really sure if the engine is really a 1997 to match the boat..?

totorunner

Cadet

So i replaced the fuel bulb. It still does not get hard but there was a slight leak on the engine side when I squeezed the old one.

Also, let it idle for a minute and trimming it up to keep the load off until the rpms come up some seems to help the issue. Since noone really knows what the deal is here I'll just deal with it.

jonesg

Admiral

I'm tired of retyping it every few days, use the search function.

Heat soak.
Not a serious ailment, more inconvenient.

totorunner

Cadet

Used it buddy...

Maybe I dont know enough about this stuff to even know what I'm looking for. And two, this forum is NOT that busy to where I'm wasting space by posting this. If you guys don't like the business of people asking questions and having conversation I won't sign on anymore. I DONT NEED THE CRAP!

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

Probably not heat soak if it does is after sitting an hour. Sounds like a fuel pump issue. If the bulb is not getting firm, there's your problem. Is the bulb full of air or pumping fuel out the front of the carbs? There has to be a reason for it not getting firm when the carbs are full.

If I stop mine for any length of time I usually have to pump the bulbs before I start them again. Not sure why yet.

Doc Newton

Recruit

Check where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail the nut on the filter could be cracked, mine did the same thing
Used it buddy...

Maybe I dont know enough about this stuff to even know what I'm looking for. And two, this forum is NOT that busy to where I'm wasting space by posting this. If you guys don't like the business of people asking questions and having conversation I won't sign on anymore. I DONT NEED THE CRAP!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have a similar motor and a similar problem. I routinely use the throttle only button to advance the throttle on restart. Let her fast idle 30 sec or so. That usually mitigates the issue.