lots of gas in exhaust

enity

Recruit
Hi i have a 89 Johnson 120 i just changed the gastank, water sep filter had the starter rebuilt and fuel sending unit. now i can not start it. i can see lots of gas/oil coming out of the sparkplug holes if the plugs are in all black gas comes out of the prop. at least a 3oz of fuel after cranking for a bout 45 seconds. i checked the carb flots to see if they were stuck and there not. could someone help since the local dealer cant look at it untill mid sept. I live in avalon nj. any help will be awsome. thanks
:)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: lots of gas in exhaust

man 45 seconds of cranking at a time, your starter motor will be toast soon enough! I'm not surprised at the amount of fuel after that much cranking.

Got spark?

Sounds like it's really coked up. I'd like to know the compression. Since you can't get it started to warm it up, just test it cold.

enity

Recruit

Haha nan i just had the starter rebuilt. not even hot. the compression feels fine with my thumb over the plug hole. i just had it running wide open throtle and it stated. i think the carbs must be bad. im not going to try to rebuild them as i never had good luck with carbs. I was happy to see fuel injection on my truck...
Thanks for your responce..
Anone want to rebuild 4 carbs out thare?????

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

ok, but you should know that your motor gets its lubricating oil from the gasoline, so if dirty carbs are starving the motor for fuel, it's not getting enough oil.

not rebuilding carbs when they need it, is a recipe for catastrophic engine failure.

outboard carbs are amazingly simple devices, nothing like automotive.

also read this:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

on cleaning the carbon build-up out of your cylinders.

enity

Recruit

i have 120 psi in all clynders. i was told by an evinrude tech that the vro pump diaphram was bad if so is there any way of changing it to a non vro pump. and adding oil in with the gas??? any part numbers would be verry helpfull as well. my model number is j120tlcem.
thanks and happy boating!!!!