3.7 L charging issue (I think)

keelerpd

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a 85 FW 190 Horizon with the 3.7L 4 banger. Yesterday we were out and after about 8 hrs on the water my son said calmly "Daddy there is smoke"....after calmly stopping the boat, shutting down and transferring the important stuff (aka kids) to a friends boat, we took to investigating (with fire extinguisher in hand).

Upon opening the engine cover, we could smell a distinct smell of a something electrical burning (or VERY hot). I have a sneaky suspicion that the stator overheated and melted. BUT that is just a guess.

The night before I bought a new deep cycle battery and replace a low battery. I have dual batteries and put the switch in the "both" position for the day This was the first time I have ever had it in the "both" position, usually I have it in 1 or 2.

My question is this;

Could I have cooked something by having the switch in "both" position? I do know if I have a isolator (boat is newer to me).

Also, I do have a receipt that says the regulator was replaced about 5 yrs ago for about $600.00 (yikes).

2nd question;

If the stator is toasted, should I do the "alternator" conversion? If so, how hard are they? I do NOT have clearance in front of the pulley for add on pulley so I am thinking of this kit;

http://www.breezeworks.net/en-us/p_85.html

I need to know how hard these are to connect up. I want this boat to be reliable and have done everything I can do to make it that way, but this year has cost a TON of money. As far as I gather, the conversion would get rid of the Voltage reg and this is a good thing.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.7 L charging issue (I think)

Why do you have both an isolator and a dual battery switch? No -- having the switch set to BOTH should not bother the alternator. Use a voltmeter to measure charging voltage. Anything above 12.6 volts (actually 13.5 - 14.5 at about 2000 RPM would indicate the charging system is ok. 12.6 or less says it's not. Yes -- on the alternator conversion.

missalot

Seaman Apprentice

Why do you have both an isolator and a dual battery switch? No -- having the switch set to BOTH should not bother the alternator. Use a voltmeter to measure charging voltage. Anything above 12.6 volts (actually 13.5 - 14.5 at about 2000 RPM would indicate the charging system is ok. 12.6 or less says it's not. Yes -- on the alternator conversion.

also, if the voltage is above 15 and increases to 16-18v as the rpms increase points to a toasted regulator on these "special" charging systems.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Either Breezeworks kit should be fine. Welcome to the 470 club:D

nola mike

Vice Admiral

not trying to state the obvious here, but electrical burning smell could be any number of things. check your wiring before thinking it's the stator. and i would think that a stator failure leading to smoking would be pretty unlikely--has anyone here had smoking/burning being the symptoms of stator/reg failure?

keelerpd

Cadet

not trying to state the obvious here, but electrical burning smell could be any number of things. check your wiring before thinking it's the stator. and i would think that a stator failure leading to smoking would be pretty unlikely--has anyone here had smoking/burning being the symptoms of stator/reg failure?

I did have the 18 V running at cruising throttle also. I think that the Voltage regulator is cooked (this would be the 2nd one for this boat). How do I check the regulator?

Also there was a oily residue on the balancer that looks like it had "seeped" out at speed.

I did check all the wiring all around the engine compartment and such and there were no blantant signs of burning. I have to pull up part of the floor to get the balancer off so I will know that "state of the stator" tonight.

The fun never ends with these. How hard would it be to put a 4.3 in it? LOL

Oh yea...I do only have a battery switch, no isolator, I miss-spoke.

keelerpd

Cadet

also, if the voltage is above 15 and increases to 16-18v as the rpms increase points to a toasted regulator on these "special" charging systems.

I saw 18V at cruise...I thought was wierd. Hopefully it didn't toast the brand new battery....

nola mike

Vice Admiral

don't know if this is legible--i can't upload a larger file. see manual #8 for more info...

Attachments

• charge10.jpeg
    charge10.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • charge20.jpeg
    charge20.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0

keelerpd

Cadet

All,

Update since last year. No issues since installing the Breezeworks kit. Works like a charm. I recommend them all the way.

I did wind up taking out the stator and such from the front pulley and I also removed and bypassed the water cooled regulator to eliminate another possble leak point.

All in all....a big win!