Minimum hp for my boat??

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 glastron ssv176 with a dead evinrude 140hp. I am looking to buy a used outboard. I want a 4-stroke but only have about $3,500 to spend. Would a 50hp be enough to push a 1000lbs boat? I only use it for fishing. Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minimum hp for my boat??

What HP is the hull rated for?
I would say keep looking and go bigger.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

75% of the maximum HP rating on the capacity plate is considered minimum power for most boats. Some folks obviously can get by with less but for any semblance of performance, that number is rule of thumb.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1000lb boat and I only have a 60 HP motor on it. But my max is rated for 75 HP.

It is a deep V I believe. I hit 31 MPH on GPS. Fast enough for me.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Fellas, there is more that comes into play here than just weight of the boat. You also need to look at length, hull design.......tri-hull, V, Deep V, sequential lift, etc.

You also need to think about how many people will be in the boat along with the weight of gear.

Another big thing to me is how the boat handles and responds, if you are underpowered and need to make an emergency maneuver you may very well be SOL.

I run a 16ft Vhull open bow rated for a 100hp and I would never think of going lower than the 75hp that is currently on it.

Best bet is to pass on the 50hp and save up some more money if you are set on a 4cycle

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice

The boat is 17ft with a V hull. Me and two passengers is about the max so I would say at most 1700 lbs. I mostly still fish or troll with it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need 100HP or more.

You are not likely to find a good 4 stroke in that power range for $3500.

Glastrontizz

Seaman Apprentice

I was planning on buying a 1987 Johnson 110hp v4 2-stroke for $1 500 installed. Then my dad called me last night and said he would give me 2k towards a purchase of a 4-stroke. I will keep looking at 4-strokes but will probably end up with a 2-stroke. Thanks for all the replies.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

you won't be happy with 50 on that, it certainly won't get on plane at that HP.

Given that budget, I'd absolutely look for a 2 stroke.

Loco-Coco

Cadet

The rule of thumb I've heard the most is 70% of the max hp rating. (Which sort of agrees with the 75% rule stated above). In your case, 70% of 140 is 98 (140 x 0.7).

I'll tell you of a similar experience that would closely relate to you putting a 50 on that boat. A few years ago I picked up a 1973 15.5' Crestliner tri-hull, rated for 80 hp, that had a '93 Johnson 40 on it. Basically it was a useless package. With only me and a fishing rod on it, it got up onto plane pretty easily and topped out at 28 mph. With no spotter on board it would pull a small tube with a lady on it. Not bad. Put two guys in it (and consequently a couple coolers) and it would barely get onto plane and probably hit 20 mph. That was making the motor work as hard as it could with it obviously burning a lot of fuel.

Put a third person on OR lots of fishing gear, the dog, a third cooler for food and it wouldn't plane at all. At that point, you're rocking at displacement speed so you may as well have an 8 horse on the back. In fact, an 8 horse would have been better since the 40 was louder, harder on gas, and at idle it was still too fast for trolling.

Anyway, that was at 50% of max power. A fifty in your case would bring you to a little under 36%. If you're investing what I consider serious coin on a motor, I wouldn't risk total disappointment by ending up with a majorly underpowered boat.

LC.

PS. Late-90s and up JohnnyRude V4s are remarkebly quiet. My 2000 Johnson 90 (which ironically has since blown up) was arguably quieter at idle than my 1990 Evinrude 9.9.)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A old guy neighbor of ours runs a 17' bowrider with a 25 HP Johnson 2-stroke on it. It was a tiller motor that he converted to remote control. He fishes 100%, nothing else. Everybody laughs at him but he's happy with it. Everybody has their own requirements.

My vote would be for the $1500 Johnson. Have it professionally serviced with tune up, impeller, etc. and you should be good for a long time.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

dad had a 1977Glastron HPV175 with a 140 Evinrude- it would hit 50mph on a good day- it was rated up to 175hp.
there is a great Classic Glastron website that I'm sure would be worth looking at.