Buying boat with 1993 Chevy omc drive

boatnam1

Cadet
The owner tells me a plug is leaking in the gimbal housing but you need to pull the motor to fix it.. After a little research i see a few guy have had problems with a plug and pulled the drive to fix it, same plug? The boat takes on water.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Buying boat with 1993 Chevy omc drive

The owner tells me a plug is leaking in the gimbal housing

Not sure what plug you are referring to, I don't recall any plugs in the gimbal housing. There is a water drain in the port side of the bellhousing (aka pivot housing), or a plug on the upper port side of the drive that could leak water, OR, are you talking about leaking oil.

boatnam1

Cadet

Would the pivot housing plug require motor be pulled to repair. Boat is being sold cheap because the owner thinks the motor need to be pulled, i hope he is wrong. Guess i will figure it our in 2 weeks when the boat is purchased. Thanks for the reply don s.

boatnam1

Cadet

He also told me if it was a mercrusier drive the drive can be pulled to fix it, but OMC it can't. He added might slow it down with silicone so im not sure what he is talking about boat is 300 miles away and was looked at by my buddy. Im told is is super super clean.

a70eliminator

Captain

The only plug in the gimble housing I can think of that could cause the boat to take on water, would be the gimble bearing grease tube broken or gone, water could then enter the bellows through the bearing.
I think the transom adapter would have to be pulled to fix that one not sure.

boatnam1

Cadet

Owner said he took it to a shop and that is who told him the motor needs to be pulled to repair.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Sounds like the OP has read about the "OMC owner's second mistake" plug under the Cobra snake decal port side of the upper exhaust housing. Quite a few people have removed that plug only to find out it serves no purpose and parts tinkle down into the drive requiring drive removal to retrieve.

Well, that isn't it, because that requires nothing associated with the gimbal housing. And is no where near the engine....

So, with such limited info as " a plug",
assume you'll need a new this:
8076d1278212947t-omc-cobra-outdrive-complete-bayliner-parts-002-jpg

and probably a transom rebuild
and make your offer accordingly.

In other words, offer what the trailer is worth, minus landfill tipping fees for the boat unless you can get a detailed explanation and firm quote from the mechanic.
And fire up the bilge pump and go for a test ride.
Don't let the seller tell you it can't be water tested because a plug is leaking.

boatnam1

Cadet

Sounds like the OP has read about the "OMC owner's second mistake" plug under the Cobra snake decal port side of the upper exhaust housing.
Well, that isn't it, because that requires nothing associated with the gimbal housing. And is no where near the engine....

So, with such limited info as " a plug",
assume you'll need a new this:
8076d1278212947t-omc-cobra-outdrive-complete-bayliner-parts-002-jpg

and probably a transom rebuild
and make your offer accordingly.

In other words, offer what the trailer is worth, minus landfill tipping fees for the boat.

Noted Howard sterndrive....I will find out more before i throw money out for sure. Been in boating for many years and have always had mercruiser stuff and know there is some common stuff that happens with them, so i was just fishing to maybe see if i could find something on OMC with limited information. The boat is a 1993 kayot deck boat and it looks almost new, hard to believe trailer looks brand new so for 3500 don't mind throwing some dollars at it.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Noted Howard sterndrive....I will find out more before i throw money out for sure. Been in boating for many years and have always had mercruiser stuff and know there is some common stuff that happens with them, so i was just fishing to maybe see if i could find something on OMC with limited information. The boat is a 1993 kayot deck boat and it looks almost new, hard to believe trailer looks brand new so for 3500 don't mind throwing some dollars at it.
Buy a Cobra, you're buying a headache. Stock up on Tylenol.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

As others said why make you life more difficult, get a Merc instead....the only plug I can think of that could leak water in might be the plug that is part of the trim sender wiring that runs through the transom mount near the steering arm....see this pix follow the wire...and although it's hard to get at you don't need to pull the engine to replace the wire and plug...these senders are now available in the aftermarket and work like OE (Sierra)...

Attachments

• cobra transom ebay.jpg
    cobra transom ebay.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You only need to pull the drive. If you know what you're doing it should take 2-3 hours or else maybe a full day. From your description its a cheap fix.

boatnam1

Cadet

I'm getting out of boating for awhile, sold my baby this year. Been running it hard at the river for 30+ years in all kinds of rides from a 4.3 merc to a blown 540 with a merc drive always will be a merc man. But my buddy is going to buy the boat I'm more of a just borrow it when i go partner, trying to find something decent for 3500 bucks is a tough find. This was a garage keep boat that i found through a Friend of a Friend that is mint except for this little problem. Couple is old and retiring just want boat gone. So hopefully it goes alright. Thanks for all the advice will post up what happens.

boatnam1

Cadet

Been a little while but finally got boat. it was a transon gasket so i was told drive and motor have to come out to replace which makes since so about 1400 bucks. Anything else i should do why motor is out?

steve riddell

Seaman

Fill in the BIG Hole & stick an outboard on it!! You will save in the long run!!:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Been a little while but finally got boat. it was a transon gasket so i was told drive and motor have to come out to replace which makes since so about 1400 bucks. Anything else i should do why motor is out?
Take a good hard look at the transom condition. Whenever someone thinks its the gasket, its usually the transom that is rotted out.

boatnam1

Cadet

Second time i have heard the rotten transom, hopefully its not that