reseal lower unit

aaljndr

Recruit
Hey. I have a 140 hp 1988 evinrude motor that started to leak from the lower unit. I pulled it off and found its leaking by the water pump. I broke a bolt on the water pump housing while taking it off. I've decided to take it in to a pro. anyone know how much I should expect to pay for the reseal job, pulling the bolt and will it be cheaper to take just the lower unit or should I mount it on the boat and take it in on the engine?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: reseal lower unit

If youv'e got a manual extract the bolt yourself and put in a new water pump and carefully reinstall the lower unit per the manual ( and tips from the FAQs here) the motor normally "leaks" between the lower and upper unit where it's bolted together

$90 bucks an hour for a mechanic and if you do go bring the whole thing down and let them do it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Why put it back on? Must come off anyway to do the driveshaft and/or shift shaft seals.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I meant if he were not taking it to the mechanic and doing it himself, sounds like going to the mechanic is the right direction for him to go in anyways.........