Greater Appreciation

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Now that lots of my produce is coming into season, I have been doing my first time hand at canning. No doubt there is more work to this than I had ever imagined. I keep thinking about how our ancestors HAD to do this due to no refrigeration at the time.

I can remember my grandmother that was born in 1878. She was the wife of a hard working farmer that neither one that used power equipment. (except for electric appliances). Come spring, it was all about getting the garden ready. It was about an acre of ground that she grew just about everything to get them though the winter months. It also provided income to sell for other staples that they would need.

Then once everything was growing and coming into harvest, the only time they would take off would be for church. All other time was spent on keeping up the farm and getting ready for winter.

While I have spent most of my weekends picking, preparing, and canning, I can't help thinking about how tough it was for all out ancestors.

I am now thinking about learning to cure meat. My grandfather did a lot of that as well. I will never forget the aroma of the large smoke house that he used. I'm just thankful that I have memories of how they lived their lives instead of hearing or reading about how things were done.

Just thought I would pass this on.......Have a Great Day,,,,,,,now back to my canning :D

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Greater Appreciation

Sorry that I never got back to you with the stewed tomato recipe, it seems that ole grandpa had that recipe in his head and took it to the grave with him.

But on the other hand, mom figures he may have just used the recipe that comes with the canning jars.

dwco5051

Commander

Down in your part of the state I think there are many that still can as your grandmother did without the benefit of electric. Though we still can most of our stuff at home (Took yesterday off from fishing to help with two bushels of apples for sauce and one bushel of sliced peaches) my wife still gets together with the neighbor ladies for large scale canning sessions. Since they do dot have electric the cooking is done in large wood fired boilers for corn, tomato sauce, etc. Their boys keep the wood split and fire the boiler. Last week they did a full spring buggy of sweet corn. Our contribution - they now freeze corn rather than can it and our freezer in the garage becomes the community storage facility.

Come deer season it is time for cold packing venison. Then my basement becomes the neighborhood area for making jerky with my electric slicer and several electric dehydrators. Beats making it in a propane oven with the door ajar.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Canned venison...Mmmmmm :D

I come from a family line of canners, though nowadays it seems a lost art in my family...a lot of old traditions gradually passing away...sigh :(

Link

Rear Admiral

Growing up in the late 50's/early 60's in a small logging town (pop around 60) the garden was everything. (I hated that thing) couldnt go swimming or fishing during the summer until it was weeded! : - )
Even back then canning was becoming a lost art. Had some younger cousins stay for a week or so from Portland OR. They were shocked that carrots and green beans came from the ground!
But then I also forgot until last week when visiting a cousin in NO CA that when making (home made) chicken noodle soup we also made the noodles also.
What a treat.

Link

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we still do some canning, nothing like my Granny did. my favorite is making Plum Jelly.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also dabble in some canning, mostly home made pasta sauces and such. Nothing that requires a pressure canner as of yet though that will probably happen before too long. Home made just tastes soo much better than store bought stuff

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Hey SS it seems to be a dieing art. My mom is from that era. At 77 she still cans and preserves every year. Pickles,(dill and sweet)Banana peppers,(hot and mild) tomatoes,(stewed and juice) beets for starters. Then there's the jams and jellies. I really need to learn the processes from her before it to late.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I think I'm going to tackle some Bread & Butter pickles next. I got my grandmothers recipes from my sister. The only thing is that I've got to get my pickles from a farm market as the dirty rotten whistle pigs ate all the leaves off my cucumber plants. I had two of the varmits hanging around. Then about a week ago, I went out to my shed to get the lawn tractor out to mow the grass. Low and behold, one of them was about 3 feet away from me just looking at me. He stood motionless as if I didn't see him. So happens I had a small shovel right next to me. I moved real slow, picked it up and smacked him over the head. He took off out of the shed. I must of made the point clear that it wasn't welcome as I haven't seen either of them for a week now. I feel bad for doing it, maybe I should put out some Tylenol for him :D..........SS