Overcharging question

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Talk about taking advantage of the digital age. I'm writing this on my blackberry from an island in Georgian Bay after a 20 mile run out of Parry Sound.

My 2004 Yamaha 90 4-stroke started flashing a 16.4 volt reading at me on the way out. The digital trip distance log disappeared from the multifunction speedo screen to be replaced by the flashing voltage reading. The motor has until now shown a steady 14.4 reading at cruise. I figure it wants my attention if it changed the display priority and has started blinking at me.

Any ideas on the culprit and will the 20 mile run home cause any issues? Probably not a whole lot of troubleshooting I can do out here with just my basic toolkit. When I bump the trim or run the bilge pump the voltage will drop and show a steady 15 or so but climbs again to over 16 which starts the readout flashing again. No audible alarm during any of this.

All thoughts welcome. It was a damn fine trip til this glitch..

Re: Overcharging question

Unless you smell anything like burned wires you should be fine to keep boating.
I'm not the expert but since they haven't found your question yet I'm going to guess it's the regulator that (obviously) regulates the voltage from the generator that is trying to show off.
If you worry you can try firing up anything you have hooked up on the boat - stereo, lanterns, electrical outlets.
Loading it down should decrease the voltage a bit.
A two Volt difference seems like a lot honestly.
Probably should get it looked at when it's convenient but it doesn't sound like an emergency to me.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Overcharging question

what if you un plug retifier/regulator. that should get you home.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Overcharging question - Update

Re: Overcharging question - Update

Just closing the loop on this. Didn't have any choice but to drive it back home as is. I put a call through to my local Yamaha dealer who said right away - blown regulator - probably due to loose or dirty battery connections. I had no idea it would be that sensitive. I could certainly turn the wing nuts by hand but they said use a wrench to get them good and snug after buffing the leads shiny. The battery had been replaced by another marina in the spring and they didn't clean the leads well enough apparently.

New OEM part was $290 plus my own labour to install so I don't want to do that too many more times for sure.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys - she's running like a top again.