1978 90 hp timing, idle, carb

nhdukes

Seaman Apprentice
hi. so a couple questions/issues I need help with. 1978 90 hp w/distrubutor. I rebuilt carbs and notice a small leak that looks like its coming from the screw with spring that plastic carb sync linkage is connected to. is there a gasket under the spring and screw? I did not undo this as it must be connected to butterfly in carb and i didnt think it would need to come off. second i unscrewd idle screws on ea carb 1 3/4 turns as a starting point and now i cant seem to get the distributor to retard far enough to get it to idle under 1000-1200, or to use the main idle adj screw. should i screw in idle screws 1/2 turn on ea to bring it down. all butterflys appear to be closing fully and i will do a link and sync. thank you

nhdukes

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1978 90 hp timing, idle, carb

so dumb me had the float adj wrong on a carb but i still cant figure out how to get distributor to retard far enough for lower idle. any help pleeaasse

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

About 1/2 way up the distributor body, there is a collar that has a finger that opens the carbs. That has two 5/16" bolts that control it's position. You want the distributor to be at 4-6* BTDC when the carbs just start ot open. Above the distributor are three set screws. They are for max spark advance, throttle stop and idle stop. Ajusting the throttle cable and idle stop allows adjustment of idle speed.

nhdukes

Seaman Apprentice

thanks a ton. if anyone wants to know. i couldn't get it to btdc it would only stay atdc. whoever had this before me had it off and was fighting it. i had to move the timing belt 1 notch to get it to link n sync as per clams instructions. she now comes out of the hole like a **** missile. this forum has saved me thousands. thanks to all, and until my next prob i will b fishin