Shallow launch, boat wouldn't float.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Went to launch the boat the other day and the water level was way down. Backed in as far as I could, but boat would not float off the bunks. So I start pushing, and pushing and pushing on the boat. Every push moved it about 1-2 inches.

Right about the point I thought I was going to pull a muscle in my back, I got an idea. Tie the boat off to the dock, and drive the trailer out from underneath. So I did, and it worked like a charm. Only had to pull up about 2 or 3 feet, then roll back, and I could push the boat off with one shove.

I also noticed when standing on the dock tying off the transom, that it was easy to pull the boat off the trailer with the line. Seems that when the boat is pushed from the bow, it lifts up in the front, putting more weight at the rear of the bunks making it even harder to push. But standing above it on the dock, pulling was actually lifting the transom some, and the boat was easy to move on the bunks. But I wanted to try driving the trailer out from under the boat, so I just tied off and drove the trailer out from underneath.

When it came time to retrieve, it was a simple matter of winching the boat back on the trailer, even though the water was still shallow.

And it saved my back!

This is great news for me because I often launch solo and low water is no longer a problem. Anyone else use this method when the water is low?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Shallow launch, boat wouldn't float.

It's situations like that where a tilt trailer shines, during a sunday afternoon when the big ramps are too congested I go the little fishing boat launch, pull the pin on my tilt on shove the bow way up into air to about a 45 degree angle and my 16' mfg slides right off, then I'm knee deep water and have to walk it out a little farther, it's a pain but otherwise inpossible.
Be carefull out in there in the low water conditions, some of those unmarked hazards are just below the surface now.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Ah for the days, when I used boat ramps that were designed by someone who knew what they were doing. I swear every ramp in this state, was designed by the same person and that person never launched a boat in their pathetic little life. When I lived in Michigan I NEVER had to get my feet wet at a ramp, they all had nice docks on at least one side and usually both. In THIS state, I have yet to find a ramp with a dock next to it, usually the only thing next to it is a bunch of jagged rocks. If they have any dock at all its 50 yards away and there is a bunch of trees, utility poles etc. in between and many of the ramps are so shallow, that it impossible to float a small boat off the trailer, so if I am by myself I have to get into the water everytime, in or out.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I often launch and retrieve solo with a bowline.
This is no problem with a flat bottomed boat, but with a 19' deep v, and shallow water, it can be challenging.

I occasionally have a problem with the retrieve, and have found that it is much easier when done in 2 steps. I get the bowline attached and crank it in partially, and then back the trailer in a little further before cranking in all the way. That makes the cranking a lot easier on me and the drive train.

Nothing like challenges...

:)

Expidia

Commander

If you know you will frequent shallow launch areas just pick up a can of that spray stuff that slickens your bunks up a little.

She'll slide right off. That's why they make the stuff. I like the spray better than the plastic pieces that you can mount directly on the bunks. I bought them once and returned them cause the directions say don't use with painted aluminium boats as they will wear off the paint. Just spray the bunks the next time the boats in the water.

Product Description:
Slydz On Bunk Lubricant Makes launching boats easy, slides effortlessly off bunks and into the water. Reduces cranking torque required by as much as 275%. Safer unloading and loading by dramatically reducing stress on the trailer crank mechanisms, ropes and hull bow hooks. """"Allows you to unload and load your boat in shallower water"""". Fast and simple application for both horizontal and vertical bunks. Made from a unique blend of anti friction compounds. Comes in 1 pint (16 fl. oz.) easy to use spray bottle and is applied directly to carpeted bunks.

I don't think whoever is responsible for the docks you frequent would be to happy seeing you tie your boat off and unload the way you did!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Get a can of spray silicone from the "W" store. It's $4 and will make your bunks as slippery as snot on a glass door knob.

Moody Blue

Captain

I've encountered a number of shallow ramps in my area. I've got a tilt trailer that I make use of in extreme situations and it works like a charm. Generally I just tie the bow line to the winch mast then back in quick enough and hit the brakes hard giving a jolt to the trailer/boat. Boat slides off the trailer nicely and is secured by the rope. No pushing, pulling or getting feet wet.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give the slippery stuff a try.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

It definately beats the go 40mph in reverse and stop method, and believe me, I still see people using it today.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It definately beats the go 40mph in reverse and stop method, and believe me, I still see people using it today.

Yeah, I won't try that. Not my style. And I don't power load either. Just don't have the inkling to find out if I can hit the mark or not. Cranking the winch works just fine for me. :D

a70eliminator

Captain

I know what you mean about hitting the mark, you probably have a flat trailer like mine with rollers and if you miss that second roller it's all over and your keel ends up sitting on metal framework, (ouchy) then you have to push it back and start all over, I tried that one time too many with my old MFG.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've often used the rope to the dock method. I don't like to dunk my axle.
They even make (or you can make) pulleys so you can use your winch to winch the boat OFF the trailer.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

This is why we have kids "ok son take this strap, now swim to the boat and hook it on that loop" .......lol.

Actually I'm one of the lucky ones, my boat sits high enough in the water when empty.

reelfishin

Captain

I've been dealing with the same thing around here. All the ramps are way too shallow. I find myself favoring 8" tire trailers these days just to be able to launch and load the boat, and even then the shallow ramps are an issue.
They rebuilt one ramp near me here, it's about 18' long and 15' wide, I can back my full size extended van, plus my 14' tinny on it's trailer all the way in, with the trailer wheels at the back edge of the concrete ramp and the boat still isn't even wet. Beyond the ramp it drops off about 4' into mud and weeds. It used to be just a dirt ramp but they came in and 'Improved' it. Now its useless. Even my 12' row boat on basically an 8" wheeled jet ski trailer don't let the boat hit the water. It's only 5 or 6 inched deep at the deep end and the whole ramp is wet. There's only a very slight angle to the ramp. Pretty much if you can't lift your boat and shove it in the water, forget it. I have to back all the way in so that when the boat hits the water it don't drop on the concrete as well.

I had a problem unloading a buddies 23' CC a few weeks ago at another state ramp, I backed in to the point where my rear axle was just above the water, which was as far as I was going and the trailer hubs were just touching the water. The thing sits on bunks and weighs far to much to just manhandle off the trailer. The ramp is long but shallow. I ended up doing the rope to the dock thing, but we later found that getting it back on was even a bigger nightmare as that the last roller on the trailer sat a foot above the water and the bow refused to 'climb' the first roller to get up onto the trailer.
I ended up unhooking the trailer, pushing it back into the water by hand, hoping not to go off the end of the ramp, then I got the boat started onto the trailer and hooked to the winch. Once the boat was 1/4 of the way on, I was able to pull it back towards the truck enough to set it back on the ball. Not getting wet just wasn't in the cards that day.

They need to fire each and ever one of the engineers that designed these ramps.

I loaded my 18' boat the other day at another ramp, as usual it required me to walk out and get wet to hook the boat, but I was able to walk out completely around the trailer with my van backed in to the point where the front tires were wet. The bunks as well as the hubs weren't even wet and I was out of ramp. Luckily that's a roller trailer and the boat will pretty much self center and climb up the rollers when winched on. Its just hooking up that's tough. The good part is that the water is warm and only halfway up to my knees at high tide. The bad part is that the ramp is covered in slime and smells like rotten bait.

A tilt trailer helps but you have to be careful going in and out that way as you can both dunk the splashwell as well as hit bottom on the ramp as the boat hits the water on really shallow ramps.

burgman

Cadet

I went with a roller bunk, easy loader style trailer and now I can load my 15 foot boat in the front yard if I want to.

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well one plus is,looks like most of us are facing the same problem.I find the docks around here are desiged for "walkers"--by that I mean they are useless for boater--they are wayyy to far from the ramps so if by chance something isn't working correctly--you are "dead" in the water,lol--Docks should imho,be close enough to ramp to almost reach by hand,or at least by a short line.Maybe we could get the "engineers" of said ramps to stand in waters edge waiting to help load and unload boats!! One would think it should be fairly steep in order for wide range of boat hulls to use,and the placement of the dock within range of a rope toss??I personlly think it's our total waste of tax money and should be farmed out to private owned construction companys,that's my story--and I'm sticking to it.:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Another one here with a tilt trailer as I primarily launch at a ramp that the transom in barely in the water when backed in and also it's all gravel.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Spray the bunks with wax/wd40/silicone of your choice.

Then see if you can lower the rear of the bunks a little, or raise the front.

I did this with a 17' aluminum that weighed in at about 1400#, could launch it on the lawn.

Actually had to back into the water over 50' once when the res was real low. The tires on the truck were wet, but the wheels were dry, water was still 4 inches below the boat hull. Pushed her right off in 8 inches of water. (used the deep water ramp to load it up)

jkust

Rear Admiral

Which boat were you launching? I like the roller trailer for shallow launches but i'm guessing you are talking really shallow.