Roller Trailer and Boat Positioning

tractorboy

Seaman
I have a karavan trailer with a 20' sunbird I/O which weights 3025lbs. This trailer im told by PO is the smallest boat that will fit on this trailer. Shes a big trailer.

Im having a problem launching and retreiving it. Ive read that roller trailers dont need to get in as far into the water but..... I get this think in up to the fenders! and she wont come off. Retreiving I have to winch it all the way on from where the bow just gets positioned between the two rearmost rollers.

Ive read other people advise to others that you can widen the stance of the rollers to position the boat lower on the trailer and what not. What are your thoughts on me doing the same? Can I get away with allow one roller on the other side of the rib of the bottom??

I have taken alot of pics but will post a few for reference......Thanks in advance for your advise...first boat....

Attachments

• rearview.JPG
    rearview.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2500.JPG
    DSCF2500.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2494.JPG
    DSCF2494.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2499.JPG
    DSCF2499.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2498.JPG
    DSCF2498.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1

tractorboy

Seaman
Re: Roller Trailer and Boat Positioning

More.... also note the boat seems to sit sorta Nose diving into the trailer as well in my opinion. maybe I just adjust the rear...........

Attachments

• DSCF2494.JPG
    DSCF2494.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2496.JPG
    DSCF2496.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2501.JPG
    DSCF2501.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2502.JPG
    DSCF2502.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a dual axle trailer with rollers for my 24' boat. i have also had 2 other boats with roller trailers. I have always had to get the top of the fenders just under the water to be able to load and unload properly. With the trailer that deep in the water i can pull my bow hook with in 5-6' of the winch. You may just not have the trailer in deep enough

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a long trailer for that boat. Shouldn't be an issue though, it may be of some help.

You are going to just have to back the boat farther into the water. If the water is just below or at the fenders you don't really have enough boat in the water to float. This is also the same reason you have to winch the boat so far.

Find an empty ramp and back in your normal distance, try to push the boat off. If/when it does not move back in about a foot father, push again. Find a depth that you can just easily push the boat off. At some shallower ramps that long trailer will come in to use.

Good luck

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Find an empty ramp and back in your normal distance, try to push the boat off. If/when it does not move back in about a foot father, push again. Find a depth that you can just easily push the boat off.

Good luck
Push the boat off a roller trailer? If you have to push you have something wrong with your trailer. It should roll right off with the chain unhooked.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

With my roller trailer once i back in to cover the finders, as I wench out the boat starts to slide off the trailer on its own. Im with jfadool try to find its sweet spot.

tractorboy

Seaman

Thats the thing. Im backed in at our local lakes ramp ( conesus lake, NY) and my tires are at the end of the ramp! I cant back up any further!! Water about 1' above the fender at the closest wheel to my truck!!

I have to back down and right before the end slam on brakes to get it budge/roll off.

Ultimately do you guys think I can widen the rollers or are they were they are supposed to be / need to be to properly support the boat??

Im in the water as far as I can go! Ive tried reversing off the trailer too and that was a nightmare too!

Thanks for advise so far...but to answer everybody's recommendations Im in the water as far as I can go..and yes the long trailer helps keep back wheel out of water but...im in the water as far as I can go....could it just be the lakes ramp is not as steep as others?

Same problem in adirondacks but not as bad at a steeper ramp...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Some of your pictures aren't too clear. Are there any bunks on the trailer at all?

Look on the left side of the trailer, the rearmost roller assembly, the pair of rollers located closest to the keel.......it looks like the arm is cocked up, with only 1 roller contacting the hull, and the other one (the one closet to the back) is canted down. If that is correct, that assembly may be binding on the hull.

When you have the boat off the trailer, lubricate all of the roller shafts to be sure they turn like greased lightnin. Next, check alignment to be sure all the rollers are rolling in line with the keel (in other words the shafts should all be parallel with the trailer axle. They look like wobble rollers...make sure they all wobble. Where the arms swing to conform to the hull, make sure they all swing.

Those rubber rollers sometimes get softer as they age. I noted some "friction" on my hull last year so I replaced the rollers with the hard poly ones. Now, the boat starts to move as soon as I release the winch and my ramp is not very steep.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I don't use a Full Roller trailer but do use a Tilt Keel Roller trailer and would have to agree that with even a slight incline downward that boat should roll off the trailer w/o any force needed and the reailer shouldn't have to be submerged to do it.

The whole difference between a roller trailer and a bunk trailer. Bunks need to be submerged in order to float off of them.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can get your tow vehicle slightly wet. It won't kill it. It sounds like you are at a really shallow ramp.

I would get your boat off then check to see that all of the rollers are actually rolling properly.

tractorboy

Seaman

All rollers are rolling properly and lubed just in case.

Yes the one Track got stuck in UP position sometimes when loading as when ti comes off it "Drops" into the water and in turn get the rear most rollers stuck up Ive noticed lately. I dont actually see it till shes out of the water.

But all rollers move well and WOBBLE..all are true and straight on the hull.

I just think I need to Widen the tracks so the boat sits lower on the trailer. Rollers only and not bunks what so every and even though rollers are in the water too its not enough to allow boat semi float off.

She rolls off nicely with the right momentum and rolls on nicely since I have to WINCH it back on.

But I guess what Im really wonder is if I can widen the rollers and how they sit on the boat and if thats ok support. Ive I can lower her even 4 " i bet Id be in good shape. or even atleast the rear ones only. See I dont have a slip so I have trailer her for every use.
:confused:

Fed

Commander

I'd move them out and add some centre rollers to take some of the weight. I once put a new trailer with centre rollers and wobble rollers under a 21' boat and found it to be a little 'stiff' until I jacked up the centre rollers to take a larger share of weight.
Once it was all greased up I had to hold the boat to get the hook out of the bow eye then let it roll off by itself, I didn't bother re-greasing it for years because it rolled a bit too easily for my liking if you believe that's possible.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Disclaimer: All my boat trailers (4) are bunk and keel rollers: never owned a full roller trailer.

With that said: Notice the excessive clearance from the hull to the fender tops. No wonder you're having to back in so far!!!

Do whatever you have to, spread rollers, re-drill and lower roller backets...just get that thing out of the air (I'm gettin' a nose bleed lookin' at the pictures!!!) :)

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like my boat as low on the trailer as possible. I added a keel roller on the end of the trailer to protect the hull if there is any bounce when loading or unloading. I bought the poly wobble type rollers and I wouldn't dare to let the boat off the trailer without the winch to control the decent. That said, you will have to winch it back on. I use an electric winch, it takes longer than a hand winch but at my age it's well worth it. Forgot to mention, the lower the boat is on the rig, the lower the center of gravity and the more stable it will be on the road.

Good luck.
Nick

Fed

Commander

Unwinching a boat from a trailer would be like watching paint dry, tie a rope to the boat & let it rip.
My wobble rollers are grooved & the boat sounds like a freight train going off.

tractorboy

Seaman

Disclaimer: All my boat trailers (4) are bunk and keel rollers: never owned a full roller trailer.

With that said: Notice the excessive clearance from the hull to the fender tops. No wonder you're having to back in so far!!!

Do whatever you have to, spread rollers, re-drill and lower roller backets...just get that thing out of the air (I'm gettin' a nose bleed lookin' at the pictures!!!) :)

Thats EXACTLY how I feel but im not sure if widening the rollers will give the boat proper support. but man she is high on that thing. I have not seen other boats like mine that high and there is PLENTY of room for that hull/v to be lower Im just not sure about support.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like its sitting a little too high

gjm700

Cadet

Tractor,

Hope these photos help. We only need to have water to the top of the light bracket to load/unload. Yours set several inches higher.
DisplayImageCAXMHE1P.jpg
cr1.jpg

cr2.jpg