How to set WOT Timing without a test wheel?

imthemedic

Seaman
I have a 91 Johnson 200GT that i need to set the WOT Timing on. I can do the Lync and Sync but need some help with WOT timing. I heard there is a way to do it without the test wheel and out of the water. Could someone please post the process?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to set WOT Timing without a test wheel?

(Timing At Cranking Speed 4?)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperature.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4? less than what the engine calls for.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28?, set the timing at 24?. The reasoning for the 4? difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4?.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4? which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Once you set timing using the joe method, you need to confirm @ 5000 RPM or more. You can do this , if you trailer your boat by securing the boat so it can't move forward, backing down so the motor is deep enough to run at power, and testing with the boat on the trailer. Much safer than doing it in a moving boat. The ramp should a paved one, or you will create a washout.

imthemedic

Seaman

I have the standard single spark plug tester. If I plug it into the wire and ground it, then set space at 7/16" will the be correct? My manual calls for 18 degrees BTDC so I would set it to 14 degrees? Does this all sound correct?

imthemedic

Seaman

Also I am assuming that the number 1 plug wire is the top right cylinder. If I am standing behind it looking at it.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

Let us know how that method works out for you as I want to try it myself.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Also to note, you do not need to install the gap tester inline, but do ground the plug leads, we dont want a fire.

imthemedic

Seaman

Do i use the spark tester on just the number 1 cylinder? Ground all the plug wires? PLease clear this up for me...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No, sorry, you do not need the plug tester at all,he has since emitted that step from his procedure. Simply grounding all leads is fine, to prevent possible fires.

imthemedic

Seaman

So i should just put a piece of wire in between the plug wires and the motor somewhere to ground it? Also please confirm which is the number 1 cylinder.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you ground all the plug wires with no spark tester on #1 cyl what is going to fire the timing lite ??

imthemedic

Seaman

So I set my timing as indicated above. It reads 28 degrees wow.... Motor calls for 18 degrees. SO I set it back to 14 degrees and I almost had the stop screw turned all the way in. The timing base would only rotate about an inch before stop contact. I went to the lake and it had absolutley no power. I made pass after pass slowly turning the stop screw back out untill I got somewhat exceptable power. It isn't as far as it was prior to starting but close. I did not recheck the timing since it was getting late. How could I come up with those numbers? I did disconnect the FAST start "the black and white wire" prior to starting procedure. Used a spark tester on the number 1 wire. I grounded the remaining 5 wires to the block and zip tied the timing base to the stop.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you disconnected the black/white wire going to the temp switch did you use a jumper wire and ground out the wire leaving it on during the procedure ? If not, try that and re-check.

imthemedic

Seaman

No I just disconnected it. I never read anywhere where it said to ground the black/white wire?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have to disable QuikStart before you set the timing; disconnect the wire and ground the powerpack part of the wire to the block.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What did I just say, ground out the black/white wire to take it out of QS. When the mtr is running normally when you first start it up the mtr is cold. As it reaches a certain temp the sender with the black/ white wire grounds out and takes it out of QS. That is the reason for grounding out the black/white wire when setting timing when the mtr is cold.

imthemedic

Seaman

I will recheck and advice thanks for the responces.

imthemedic

Seaman

Ok I tried it again after grounding the white and black wire on the stator side. The timing showed 28 degrees. If I retard it back to 14 as called for the boat has no power and the set screw is turned all the way in. The timing base barley has room to travel. I put it on the lake and checked the timing trying to run down the lake "stupid I know" It was only about 6 degrees. I turned it up the best I could get it and got it to around 16 degrees. It calls for 18 degrees real. It's the best it has ever ran. I guess I will have to take it to some one to get that final adjustment. But either way I never could get that to work for me.

boomboom

Cadet

im not familiar with engines with more than 3 cylinders but it sounds like you have the timing light on the wrong plug wire which would throw you timing off wicked bad!!

ps i know its an old thread but