Boat With a Transmission???

vigil2448

Seaman Apprentice
Not to sure if this is the right forumn to post this in, but what a find on craiglist.

Okay so doing some browing on craiglist and found this "boat" that apparently has a transmission. I'm not to experienced and have that much knowledge of boats, but haven't seen one with a transmission.

hummmm....

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1893873547.html

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat With a Transmission???

Used to be common in drag type boats back in the day . . .

bakerjet

Cadet

lots of fast boats running that set up. the casal v-drive can still be bought new. the tunnell hull was and still is very popular although the picklefork design has taken over.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Turbo 400.... yeah, that's weird...seems like a lot of weight to get reverse

Mercruiser TR and TRS drives have a transmission, but only for FWD and REV - no gears per se

QC

Supreme Mariner

They used the multiple forward gears too. Mainly for drag boats, solves pitch compromise . . . ;)

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Likely a short-tail 3-speed turbo 400.
Wow that's in bad shape. I wouldn't venture too far out of double digits on an offer. The restore will cost a fortune.

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

in the future im trying to put an overdrive gear on a mercruiser engine/stern setup. shifting into the second gear after about 4000rpm down to about 2500 while maintaining speed. dreams

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I guess it has been tried..... removed from the market about 10 years ago
blacktrac.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

in the future im trying to put an overdrive gear on a mercruiser engine/stern setup. shifting into the second gear after about 4000rpm down to about 2500 while maintaining speed. dreams
maybe with a 454 in a 16 footer...

not too many engines have enough torque to keep a boat at speed with 2500 rpm....and even if it did...I wonder if it would just melt the exhaust valves from too little air moving through the motor

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... but with the right close ratio gears, a two speed shifter would be nice. Just to drop 600-700 rpm or so.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You want the trans to improve hole shot, not to lug at WOT. Maybe a couple of hundred at cruise, but still playing with fire. Unless it is a diesel, I would not want to see WOT below the recommended WOT range for any extended period of time . . .

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Their availiable but the more popular tranny is the powerglide. As stated above they are for a holeshot with a larger pitch prop then you go into high gear which is still 1:1. No overdrive.