Going Crazy Without a Boat

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer
Had to sell the boat last year due to the economy.
2 summers without a boat........what a bummer.
I WILL be on the water next summer if it kills me.

Anybody else been hit by the economy like this?

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Going Crazy Without a Boat

Yeah my gun collection has dwindled from 20 to 2

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Boats still here for the time being, guitars have dwindled down to one...If it weren't for c-list and the Mrs, who knows were I'd be right now...should of become a banker :(

FWIW, never loan money to family :mad:

Huron Angler

Admiral

I know how you feel...this is my first summer with a "real" boat(bigger than 12') and I don't think I can go back to being boatless ever again.

In Michigan it's especially tough since you can't swing a cat without hitting two aluminum fishing boats and a fiberglass ski boat:D

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

We just finally got a boat this year.. My wife and I have already discussed this subject.. If times get tough, we'll sell one of our cars and keep the boat, the damn cars cost more to keep than the boat (if both are paid for). My wife only works part time on weekends when I am not at work anyway, this way we avoid paying for any childcare and only "need" one car.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I keep my boat about 100 miles away from me (at the lake) the problem is where we would have been 4 or 5 times, this year will be the 2nd time(in a couple of weeks) all summer. I miss my boat

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since getting my boat done, I've been on the water every weekend. I ran out of money so I had to skip a weekend.. But this Thrus is payday and I'm going out fishin!!

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm limiting my trips this year. Going back to school this Fall and I my bank account has to get raped up front. My employer has tuition reimbursement with an $8K yearly cap, so I'm taking advantage of it.
So now we're doing overnighters and spending more time at the lake per outing.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

we have always had a 17' to 19' bowrider but I think next spring we are going to try a pontoon (getting older you know)

we live on a beautiful lake, don't have frontage but do have access, but can't put in a dock.

neighbor offered the use of his dock next year and the other neighbor just picked up a pontoon trailer that he is going to rent out.

so i am thinking a cheap (about $2500) pontoon.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I saw this toon along with some others that look quite nice.
Hopefully I can stay working this winter, if not i may end up with something that needs a little work.
Either way I will be on the water next year.

By the way Big thank you to Huronangler for the invite, we will hopefully be attacking some fish over the next couple of weeks.

Always good to meet some of you great people from this forum.

I have often thought there should be iboats chapters with annual get-togethers.
I know there are some areas(Florida comes to mind) that have get togethers, but it would be awesome to have this happen in every state.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Anybody else been hit by the economy like this?

No still personally haven't seen as many effects in my area in MN. Unemployment is only around 6.5% here which isn't too terribly much higher than the natural unemployment rate. I don't know the true unemployment rate though. One neighbor was laid off from his financial job but found a better one before his last day. Only Government Regulation has affected me and my business unrelated to recession. I started getting new carpet yesterday and the carpet layer said we have been the only customer in a while not putting new carpet in because they are leaving or otherwise forced out. He said six of his recent customers were leaving MN for Texas for jobs. It is clearly hitting here as well I just haven't seen it. I wonder what is happening in Texas drawing people there?

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the Western states appear to be booming.
I have several friends that have moved out to wyoming in the last couple years.
Jobs out there are plentiful and pay is good but I know at least in Wyoming there is an extreme housing shortage.