newbie again -- how do you change the oil in boats

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
i am not trying to start another oil thread as there are plenty of them on here i have dug and dug and cant seem to find anyting on how to change the oil in a boat i have done it on cars trucks big trucks 4 wheels and bikes but i am new to boats and have 1988 sunchaser 1702 with a 3.0 mercruiser and alpha 1 and need to change the oil in it before putting it on the water this weekend i have looked for a drain plug but cant seem to find oneany help here would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: newbie again -- how do you change the oil in boats

Theres definitely a drain plug. From memory I think its at the rear of the sump on the left hand side (looking forward).

Depends on how much room you have under the engine but I managed to cut a 4 x 6 inch hole in the side of a 5 litre plastic oil can and can still manouevre the can out without spilling any oil (try a dry run first).

If you cant get any sort of receptacle under there to drain the oil into you either have to use a pump and suck the old oil out of the dipstick tube or drain the oil into the bilge and then allow it to drain out of the bilge through the bilge drain hole (and then wipe up the dreadful mess in the bilge afterwards.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

great thanks i should be able to get under that motor with no problem and even if i have to drain it into the bilge area then that is what simple grean or super clean my casteral is for eith one works great on on cleaning and removing oil and many thanks again

If it fits you can cut a square hole in the wide side of a 1-gal antifreeze container. It is nice and flat but you will have to plug the oil a couple of times to empty the container, if you fill it completely it will probably spill when you try pulling it out.

The pumps also work nice thru the dipstick, had a cheap one I used for about 5-years then it died this year, and I used the antifreeze container.

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be careful if letting the oil drain in the bilge. Did it that way once and it took me forever to get the bilge clean. I've also seen someone at the marina who was apparently doing it this way with water in his bilge (boat in the water) and he tripped his float switch. You can imagine how well that went over at the marina.

Depending on your clearance - and how many times you feel like either cleaning up the bilge or fishing a container down there - you may want to consider installing a remote oil drain hose. That's what I ended up doing and I don't have to worry about sucking oil out the tube, catching every last drop in a modified pan, etc.

DayCruiser

Ensign

I bought a manual pump front Northern Tool and it has been great for many years. Just give it 30 compression pumps and it will drain it dry(from dip stick tube) directly into the can that comes with it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have a vacuum tank. Just push the end of the hose on the dipstick tube and turn the valve.... Vacuum sucks the oil right out of the engine in about 90 seconds.... Quick, clean, quiet...

Chris.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have a vacuum tank.

But, you also need a vacuum pump too right? (to suck-down the vacuum tank):D

Mine has a hose that comes off the oil pan that i can slide out the drain plug on the back of the boat. It's easier to change the boat oil then my GF's car.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

But, you also need a vacuum pump too right? (to suck-down the vacuum tank):D

Nope... Just compressed air... :D It puts the vacuum in there by venturi effect...

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

all i am going to say is "double trash bags"

cr2k

Captain

Take it to the boat shop for a lube service.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Get one of these...if you have the garden hose thread on the dipstick then make up an adapter with a garden hose fitting it will suck the oil out much faster than the little tube down the dipstick method....

Attachments

• winterize 015.jpg
    winterize 015.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

LAC_STS

+1 for the double trash bags. Just make sure they're those really thick contractor bags.

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for the double trash bags. Just make sure they're those really thick contractor bags.

+2 on the double trash bags. Did it that way until the remote drain hose was installed (since the engine was out anyway).

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

many thanks for the ideas on how to change the oil. i got lucky as mine does have a drain plug in the bottom of the pan. the issue that i ran into was i am kind of a big guy so i could not get down to it. so armed with double trash bags and the 10 year old son (which is very small for a child at taht age) after explaining to him what needed to be done. he was able to getg down there drop the oil with very minumal mess and get the job done. and he got a lesson on working on a motor as well the he enjoyed very much. many thanks for the ideas

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Unless you suck it out you wil probably create a mess and cleaning it up is not easy. Buy an oil sucker and pull it out from the dipstick. It only takes about 10 minutes. Also, make sure the oil is warm.

LAC_STS

Glad it worked out for you. The trash bags was a very easy way for me too. I like being able to drain the oil out of the oil pan instead of sucking it out. Then you know your getting it all out.

bigdan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

amazes me that in 2010 still have to remove a plug .....prehistoric !

why dint they just put a tap with a hose that you pass true the drain hole at the transom ..... open the tap & voila !