Newbie with 1989 Baja 190ES project...Updated with Pics

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everybody. As you can see this is my first post. I am not a newbie to boating though. Just a little new to Mercruiser I/O stuff. I have a Jet boat (BBC 8-71 Blower and EFI) which is my hot rod boat. The wife and I decided we need something just to cruise, tube and ski on. So I picked up a 1989 Baja es190 for 2k with shoreline trailer. The engine is a 4.3 v-6 that is sized, with an Alpha One outdrive.

Here is what I did so far and what it needs. Pulled the motor and outdrive on Sunday and took the heads off. Found mouse houses everywhere in the exhaust manifolds. Found mouse nests in the cylinder bores too. The previous owner poured about a gallon of marvel mystery oil and the bores were full of mouse poop/nests and surly of the MM oil.
Found #2 piston in really bad shape. It was corroded. I don?t think I am going to spend any more time on this engine because it looks as if #2 has some serious pitting in the wall and one maybe leaked water into the bore. I did not feel like poking at it anymore.

My old man has a Mercruiser 350 he took out of some guys formula years back when he helped him repower it. Now I just hope that is in better shape than the V-6. The V-6 is just a small block chevy with 2 cylinders cut off of it, so everything on the front dress and mounts will work. I know the V-6 Alpha has a different ratio but the owner stated the original one was stolen and he had the outdrive replaced. I need to go thru this as well to see what the gearing really is. Once I get the engine situation straightened out this is my plan.

Put a larger under deck fuel tank in it as it only has an 18 gallon tank mounted on the port side right next to the engine. Replace the soft floors in the deck. Rebuild the lower rear seat frame and new hatch cover wood. Surprisingly the upholstery is in great shape as are the front seats. The decking will also need new mounts glassed in for the front seats. Wet sand and buff the red gel coat as it is real chalky. My wife did not want the boat because she thought the gel coat needed to be ?painted.? I did buff a small spot and it came out great but I need to ?cut? it a little more so wet sanding is in the plan. New sound system and speakers. Remove the windshield and paint the blacked out trim.

The shoreline galvanized trailer is in great shape. I will go thru the wheel bearings as well as new LED lights and new wiring. It has new tires on it. The winch will need a new strap as well.

I have been lurking here for a week or so and there have been posts I saved already as this site looks to have a wealth of information and good people as well.

Pictures to follow soon.
Thanks.
T.J.
Also here is my Jet boat build.
www.tjsperformance.com

Last edited:

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Newbie with 1989 Baja 190ES

As long as your Dads engine has a one piece rear main seal you are good to go with an easy swap.

The outdrive ratio on your current outdrive should be 1.62 and a 350 engine would require a 1.50. You can either switch out the outdrive or re-prop to suit your RPM...

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As long as your Dads engine has a one piece rear main seal you are good to go with an easy swap.

The outdrive ratio on your current outdrive should be 1.62 and a 350 engine would require a 1.50. You can either switch out the outdrive or re-prop to suit your RPM...

Thanks for the reply. What if it is not a one piece rear main seal. What would need to be done. I am not understanding how that would matter.
T.J.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are a few pics. Picked up the boat Friday night and got the boat apart on Sunday with the engine/outdrive out and the heads off. Got the pistons out tonight. I think the block is toast. 350 hopefully. It will cost just as much to re-do a V-6 as will a 350 Chevy.

89_baja_001.jpg

Chalky gelcoat. Wet sanding and buffing will get this out. This hull has no scratches or gouges in it.

89_baja_002.jpg

This side looks a little better but still needs gel coat resto.

89_baja_003.jpg

Interior stripped out. The upholstery is in excellent shape but the wood is rotted.

89_baja_004.jpg

Seat mounts rotted.

89_baja_005.jpg

Outdrive off.

89_baja_006.jpg

As stated before the previous owner had to replace the outdrive I do not know if it is the v-8 or v-6 ratio. I will look at it in a while.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

89_baja_007.jpg

Ready to pull engine. This is almost as easy as my Jet boat to pull out.

89_baja_008.jpg

Here is my enginie hoist. You can see the section I buffed out.

89_baja_009.jpg

Engine coming out. It was a real nice boating day too. 90 and sunny.

89_baja_010.jpg

Old man workin the tractor.

89_baja_011.jpg

Got a lot of work to do.

89_baja_012.jpg

Waiting to be torn apart.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

89_baja_013.jpg

Another shot of the soft floor and rotted seat mounts.

89_baja_014.jpg

Mouse house in the heads. What a mess.

89_baja_015.jpg

More rodent crap.

89_baja_016.jpg

Mounted on the engine stand.

I will post more pics of the whole thing apart and the crank out.
T.J.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

What if it is not a one piece rear main seal. What would need to be done. I am not understanding how that would matter.

The coupler and the flywheels are different on 2 piece rear main seal setups...

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The coupler and the flywheels are different on 2 piece rear main seal setups...

Thanks. The 350 Mercuiser has a flywheel and a coupler on it. I do think it is a 2 piece rear main on the v-8. It is not at my house, I need to go and look at it. Would there be any issues if I use the flywheel and coupler on the V-8 for the Alpha one.
Thanks.
T.J.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

The crankshafts are different from a one piece rear main seal engine than a 2 piece. So you need a flywheel that matches the engine that the coupler will work with. If the engine your father has is a 1 piece rear main seal engine the flywheel and coupler off of your 4.3 will bolt right up. If not then you must purchase the correct flywheel and coupler...

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Newbie with 1989 Baja 190ES project...Updated with Pics

Bad news. The stringers are rotted. Justs adds another step in the mix. Got the floor ripped out. I now need to cut the stringers out and remove the exh. Y-pipe the gimble housng and other stuff as well as the back deck area around the engine.The foam was soaked as well. I cleaned up the garage today and was too beat to continue working on the boat.

Pics.
89_baja_020.jpg

89_baja_021.jpg

89_baja_022.jpg

89_baja_023.jpg

89_baja_024.jpg

89_baja_025.jpg

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I still have a lot more prep even before thinking about a new deck and stringers. I removed about 200 Lbs of rotted wood, soaked foam and carpet.

89_baja_026.jpg

89_baja_027.jpg

89_baja_028.jpg

Just showing what a little buffing can do to faded neglected gel coat.
You can see in the reflection of the rotted stuff removed.

T.J.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi TJ and welcome to Iboats!

wow you are really jumping into it...AWSOME

Shame the prev owner neglected such a pretty Baja....that boats got some slick lines! must've been outdoors uncovered or had a rotted cover and leaked into it...ALOT! :eek:

buy ALOT of fiberglass resin! 6 or 7 gallons prob....LOTS! and TONS of fiberglass cloth MANY MANY PACKS of it :D......

Really nice polish up job! beats repainting or re gel ANYDAY....looks great!

suscribed to thread....keep posting the pics and info as you work!

ps Great call on the repower...v8 will wake that Baja up nice!

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi TJ and welcome to Iboats!

wow you are really jumping into it...AWSOME

Shame the prev owner neglected such a pretty Baja....that boats got some slick lines! must've been outdoors uncovered or had a rotted cover and leaked into it...ALOT! :eek:

buy ALOT of fiberglass resin! 6 or 7 gallons prob....LOTS! and TONS of fiberglass cloth MANY MANY PACKS of it :D......

Really nice polish up job! beats repainting or re gel ANYDAY....looks great!

suscribed to thread....keep posting the pics and info as you work!

ps Great call on the repower...v8 will wake that Baja up nice!

Thanks Vegas. Yes I jumped into it alright. I have had the boat only a week and have the engine out and torn down to the block, interior out and floor torn out. Stringers are next to cut out this week. I have not been out on my hot rod Jet boat in 2 weeks so I'm going to take a day this weekend and get out on it.
I have a full shop at my house (Bridgeport Mill, Lathe, MIG, TIG, Plasma Cutter etc...). My old man has a full wood shop in his basement so making stuff is not an issue. It is just finding the time to do it.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

great having a shop eh! looks like you guys got a lot of room to work from the pics too....

we're kinda jammed in suburbia........

NHGuy

Captain

Good going so far guy. Suggestion for you. Look at through hull or some kind of performance exhaust, If you get the switchable system it's nice to go out early with a coffee or something and not annoy folks, then when you want to go fast let the mechanical music play.
I have a stupid bow rider cause the wife insisted on lots of seats. But I believe your hull is close to mine. We have a speed limit lake and I have a power prop only so I have only seen maybe 52 MPH indicated with an old school pitot tube speedometer. We are supposed to keep it under 45. What I can say though is the boat is very predictable at higher speeds and handles chop well. No drama if driven intelligently. In other words don't launch off a cruiser wake at big speed on an angle.
A plain marine Rochester 750 and a 5.7, will turn a 21" prop easily, and might turn a 23" pitch prop using a 1.50 drive ratio in that boat. Once you know what your drive ratio is you can do some homework. You might need a 25 if you run light and don't mind a slow hole shot. Or you might need one if the gears are for a V6. I just did the prop calculator for both ratios and the prop needs to be 2" taller for 1.62 gears (common on V6 I believe) to give the same speed calculation as 1.47's.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good going so far guy. Suggestion for you. Look at through hull or some kind of performance exhaust, If you get the switchable system it's nice to go out early with a coffee or something and not annoy folks, then when you want to go fast let the mechanical music play.
I have a stupid bow rider cause the wife insisted on lots of seats. But I believe your hull is close to mine. We have a speed limit lake and I have a power prop only so I have only seen maybe 52 MPH indicated with an old school pitot tube speedometer. We are supposed to keep it under 45. What I can say though is the boat is very predictable at higher speeds and handles chop well. No drama if driven intelligently. In other words don't launch off a cruiser wake at big speed on an angle.
A plain marine Rochester 750 and a 5.7, will turn a 21" prop easily, and might turn a 23" pitch prop using a 1.50 drive ratio in that boat. Once you know what your drive ratio is you can do some homework. You might need a 25 if you run light and don't mind a slow hole shot. Or you might need one if the gears are for a V6. I just did the prop calculator for both ratios and the prop needs to be 2" taller for 1.62 gears (common on V6 I believe) to give the same speed calculation as 1.47's.

Thank NHguy. I am going to keep the exhaust thru the prop. I was thinking about doing a Cpt's Call exhaust, but when I want to make noise and go fast I just bring my EFI Blown Big Block Chevy Jet boat. Makes the people who live on the lake really happy to see me.:D
zoar_6-30_2010_05.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you are off to a nice start! She should be really slick when you get her restored!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Heya TJ

looking fwd to seeing what ya end up doing with the Baja...this will be a fun one to watch......

JetBote

Seaman

Captains call is very nice, but keep it a sleeper.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got a little more work done today. Got the gimal assembly out of the boat. Found corroeded studs. The transome is not rotted. Yay. Going to finish cutting the back of the deck out and the stringers this week. Hope to have them out later this week.
T.J.

89_baja_29.JPG

89_baja_30.JPG

89_baja_31.JPG

89_baja_32.JPG