I love my Islander but....

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
The still dead air behind the windshield is driving me nuts!!! I mean it does an awsome job of protecting one from the elements, but dang I miss that wind in the face at full throttle or that bit of a breeze when trolling. I'm not quite sure of how I'm going to deal with this but have the thought of leaving the windshield frame in place and perhaps 2 plexi panels that can be removed/installed instead of the glass. Has anyone modified their windshields? I would be interested in hearing any thoughts ideas!

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I love my Islander but....

i can already guess the answers you'll get from this crowd:

YOU NEED TO BUY ANOTHER STARCRAFT W/O A WINDSHIELD....;)

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

i can already guess the answers you'll get from this crowd:

YOU NEED TO BUY ANOTHER STARCRAFT W/O A WINDSHIELD....;)

LOL! Splendid idea...plenty of room in the yard for 2!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Put the hammer down and stand up! Should be plenty o breeze up there eh!

On a more serious note...

You could get a pedestal seat a raise it up a little.

Or...

Hammer down and stand up!

Or, ya buy another Starcraft. That is a good route!

Sorry, little carried away.

Cheers!

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a Islander hardtop last Tuesday, I have a pro-v. So when I took the Islander out on sat. I almost got sick in 4 foot waves and no fresh air in my face. I to have to do something, maybe a big fan? LOL. It will be nice once it get chilly out though.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Just a quick thought, how about removing the top rails on the w/s, slide the glass carefully up and out. Cut plexiglass, lexan or laminated glass 1/2 to 2/3 the height of original and slide those in the frame. You can always put the originals back in when winter comes. You could even leave the open space at the top or bottom.

or you could get another boat:rolleyes:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You could swap your windshield out with a used one off a walk-through boat. Then at least you'd have a center section you can open.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hella Marine makes some marine-use fans that are popular with the cruising-sailboat crowd; Defender has em at decent prices (no, i don't think Revered Sponsor carries em).

other than that, maybe work on the heat control in bridge area.....window tint? insulation under your hardtop? take your boat some place cooler? other than that, i think the walk-through windshield might be an answer.

curious to see if i have the same problems with the wrap around plexi windshield

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

dogwindow.jpg

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

I made my windshield removable to lessen the height so I could park her in the garage. Probably look pretty silly out on the water without it though.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Is this a hardtop or just the windshield?

If it's the hardtop I would just get 1 or 2 small fans to circulate the air. A modification to make the side windows flip open like older cars "smokers windows" would be sweet. Bond-o is planning on doing that on his big cuddy he's restoring.

If it's the open design I'd just stand up, course I'm 6'5" so I rarely have a problem looking over a windshield:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My buddies GLG and EZ know what I am talking about!

Mine have these pop out windows, I really dig them! I considered taking up smoking just because I like them so much.

P1000684.jpg

DucatiDave

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jas,

Do you have close-ups of your vent windows? My boat still has the frames, but the moving pane and its frame and hardware are missing. I'm working on fabricating replacements using plexi. Would love to see how they were originally set-up.

Thanks.

Dave

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well at the moment that is about as good as it gets, sorry! All my windshields are off the boat, under a whole stack of stuff, in the next city over at the moment. I'm betting I can get back to work on my rig next week and I'll be happy to take a close up for you then eh! They are pretty sweet.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup thats pretty much what I've been doing!! I do have pedestal seats but they are secured directly to the floor, not the typical shorter seat that bolts to a raised storage area, so even when standing up, the windshield is above my head. This is great for trolling as I can stand at the wheel and move about the boat more freely.

I am thinking of either a piano hinge on the top frame rail which would allow me to push the plexi out from the bottom or like I already mentioned, removable plexi panels that would bolt through the windshield frame from the outside with wing nuts on the inside.

It has been one stinkin hot and humid summer this year, and the boat would be MUCH more enjoyable with better air flow. Boat is an 84 19' and the side windows dont have those pop out vents.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a quick thought, how about removing the top rails on the w/s, slide the glass carefully up and out. Cut plexiglass, lexan or laminated glass 1/2 to 2/3 the height of original and slide those in the frame. You can always put the originals back in when winter comes. You could even leave the open space at the top or bottom.:

This is an interesting thought!

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup thats pretty much what I've been doing!!

so how have people in other boats been reacting when you bark at them as they pass?:p