1988 Bayliner Cobra

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Guys, was is the value of a 1988 Bayliner 18' Cobra. The hull is in good condition- some fading - but better than average, the force 125 runs close to new. The seats are getting pretty cracked but still function. Floor has some soft spots. Has original trailer (some rust). Just wanted a real world value.

thanks!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 Bayliner Cobra

There is a ton of information on Bayliner boats of that era and a bunch on Chrysler/Force engines. Use the Search at the top of the page & read away.

They were cheaply built, prone to floor & transom rot. Chrysler/Force engines have not beeen made in years. I had a 50 Chrysler many years ago and remember a marine mechanic telling me that except for the powerhead it wasn't a bad engine. I wouldn't buy one at any price.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

in real world, that boat is worth like 5-700 because it needs new floor/stringers/transom, and the engine itself isnt worth a whole lot. Fun project, but a big project. If you look at the price of new upholstry seats etc it will be a wake up call; to make this boat look and perform really well will cost far more than the boat is worth. Tough call.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

the boat has been in our family for about 15 years - runs good - we used it many times this summer. They got it from a guy who forgot to put oil in the gas and seized the block (15 years ago) - the block was replaced with a new mercury block- the rest is all Force. The transom looks fine to me. I was offered it by my family and just wanted to make sure I gave them a fair amount for it - they offered me pretty low price - it's hard to know what a boat is worth. The only main issues are the seats, floor is just soft in back and the tilt trim no longer works - you have to assist it to get it up out of the water. But I know the history of the boat

Swishguy

Seaman Apprentice

I bought one brand new in 1988..about 10 boats ago & payed 14K Canadain with a trailer.
The 125 force was a gutless pos..about 42 mph.
I traded up to a 150 force & saw 47 mph.
I then made the best move of my life...got a new non current 200 merc black max 200 hp.
The hull was rated for a 150 but handled the 200 perfectly. I regularly saw 68ish mph & the boat was super stable & handled great
This was one of the best boats i ever ever owned!
Even today they still look good & I never ever had 1 bit of trouble with it!!!!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

i think this boat will do 41 with a 17 pitch prop on it - right now has a 15 pitch and does 37 at 5500 rpm - yeah that engine is not the fastest engine in the world but it pulls a skier well. When I was a kid we had a boat that had a 70's merc 115 and that boat would get close to 50 with the whole family aboard.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$700-$850 is about right for that one. "Floor soft spots only in the rear"... sorry, that's just about certain to include stringers and part of transom as well. It's just a nearly worthless boat with a low-value engine. Not that it can't be a fun boat and/or project! It just doesn't have much resale value is all.

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$678.12

Seriously, if you like to work on stuff, get it and fix it up. I just sold a rotten boat (older, but "better" brand for $800 with a perfect engine) so that may be a comp.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

how can i check the stringers and transom in this boat ? My dad always covered it but the boat does take in some water when we anchor and swim. You can see it in the bilge area and where the skies are stowed. Have no idea if the stringers are completely glassed in - seems the transom is