Which aluminum alloy is best for marine?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
I have decided to cover some holes in my center console with an aluminum sheet but can't find anything thick enough at local hardware stores. All we have is very thin floppy stuff.

So for example, I am looking at this website and they have a 5000 series and a 6000, and I've read that you need these high numbers for marine uses. So which is better and what will I need to keep it from corroding? I read some info on needing to coat epoxy coat them, but it seems like I should be able to get an alloy that can handle the environment as is?

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=sheet&LimAcc=$LimAcc

Does anyone have advice on what to proceed with?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which aluminum alloy is best for marine?

More googling and wikipedia'ing and I apparently answered most of my own question in that post :rolleyes:

Although any advice on whether I need to connect this to a ground or other to send it to the anode or else coat it would be helpful.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Which aluminum alloy is best for marine?

Is it an aluminum boat? DO NOT GROUND ANYTHING to the hull

ALL grounds in an aluminum hull need to go directly to the battery only. If you use a buss bar for the ground it must not be grounded to the hull.

Grounding things to the hull will cause a ton of deterioration of the aluminum :eek: