Envirude 18 HP Fastwin

Sammy25

Recruit
Its probably a 1963 18 HP Envirude and it has run like a dream for the most part. Especially this season. Ive had it out alot and been thru about 3 full tanks. Well two weekends ago it started bucking wildly at low speeds (Back Fire?) Last weekend it did it at medium and low. I was able to run out the gas to Zero. Mixed up new gas 1:32 (10 oz to 2.5 gallons)and it bucked at all speeds. Very violent every 5 to 7 seconds. Does not backfire in neutral idle. I ran it in neutral for a couple of minutes a few times yesterday and it sounds fine. Could use some help Thanks

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Envirude 18 HP Fastwin

Welcome to iboats

It sounds as if you are dropping a cylinder. Have you replaces the coils and points? It could be either on of those.

Sammy25

Recruit

Ok I checked the price of a coil -20 bucks Seems easy?

DaBrickster

Cadet

Very easy. The hardest part is getting the flywheel off. Use the right puller with high strength bolts. Tap gently from underneath if it is stuck. When installing the coils make sure the plug wire connections are sound, line up the coil to the machined part of the posts and tighten very good. Replace the points if necessary, gap them to .20 and tighten down. Same problem on my '57 Fastwin 18, runs great now.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Get the right puller (harmonic balancer puller) and it's not hard. But it does scare the bejesus outa you when it pops. I still hate it. There's a view port under the pull starter you can see what the coils looks like and adjust the points.

But, you're saying it only happens in gear? It is kicking in and out of gear possibly? I have a '62 E18 that runs awesome.